TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Flyingpanda Offline
Ive been here a while
Welcome me, I'm new!

Down in the dumps - March 18th 2018, 03:37 AM

I didn't know where to put this so if you move it then ok. I have been feeling really in the dumps lately and have thought of suicide but I don't want to. I would just like to talk to someone.

Last edited by Narrative.; March 18th 2018 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Moving to a more appropriate forum.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Down in the dumps - March 18th 2018, 02:19 PM

Hey there, I'm sorry to hear you've been going through a rough time lately. Is there anyone you can talk to? A friend, family member, a trusted adult? I would suggest checking out Alternatives here, maybe you can come up with something to help you when you are feeling like you want to hurt yourself.

Do you already see a therapist or counselor? If not, it might be something to consider. I know it seems like they're only in it for the money, but they've gone to school and have an understanding of depression and can help you come up with ways to cope when you are feeling low or suicidal.

Also, don't ever be afraid to reach out to other users on the forum, via PM or VM!
Another thing you can do is pop into the chat room sometimes, I'm almost always there.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
galaxy salad

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Down in the dumps - March 18th 2018, 10:54 PM

I'm sorry that you haven't been feeling the best lately, but I'm glad that you decided to reach out to us! Since you mentioned wanting to talk to someone, here are a couple of links that might be helpful: Who can help me? and Hotlines. The first provides some examples of the types of people you might be able to talk to in real life (such as friends, teachers, and counsellors), while the second has some numbers you can call (or, in some cases, text) where you can talk to someone about what's going on. In terms of TeenHelp itself, you can call Live Help when it's online, or submit a HelpLINK ticket if you want to ask for advice from our team of volunteer Mentors.

I think an important thing to recognise about suicidal thoughts is that they're not actually always an indication that you want to end your life. You said that you've thought of suicide but don't want to, which suggests to me that it might be your mind's way of letting you know that something's wrong. For example I've found that in the past, often my suicidal thoughts ended up being something quite different on closer examination. An impulse thought of "I want to kill myself" could end up being "I'm unhappy about this particular thing in my life and the fact that I don't know how to handle it makes me feel hopeless". I'd encourage you to follow this trail of thoughts yourself next time you do think of suicide, or have another thought like "I feel depressed" or "I want to hurt myself". Ask yourself what's really going on, and see if you can follow the thought process back to find out the real issue. It could help to write it down so that you can better understand what's going through your mind, and from there you can work on ways to solve whatever issues you can discover.

Remember, too, that you're not alone. Other people have gone through this, or are going through this, and there are people around you who would want to help if you let them. It may feel lonely at times, but that doesn't mean that you have to go through this by yourself. Reaching out to us here was a good step in terms of acknowledging how you feel and beginning to actively work towards feeling better, and if you had the courage to post this thread then I believe you can also find the strength to overcome this feeling of being "down in the dumps" and find your happiness again. It may not happen immediately, but it will be worth it when it does. And in the meantime, you're welcome to ask for help here whenever you need.

just because it hurts to go on
doesn't mean the battle can't still be won
;

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Re: Down in the dumps - March 25th 2018, 10:30 PM

There are days when I am filled with self-doubt, wondering how I ever manage to cope, but there always is something we can do to get through a day of the dumps. Sometimes writing our thoughts down can help us get it out and clear our head. This can be just a little notebook to get any negative thoughts out. For this, I write in pencil in my favourite notebook; not stopping to make grammatical corrections, I just scribble to get my feelings out and on paper.

Or, sometimes walking being out in nature despite the seemingly endless rain, I'll don my hoodie and take the dog with me for company. Being outside in fresh air helps clear my head. I always take a little notebook and pen to scribble ideas down. And any words can be threaded to form new lyrics.

Have a little think about what you like doing, gathering ideas and things to do to get us through those difficult days. Sometimes though specially late in the evening it's easy to over-think. Avoid mood music that could lower your mood. Play some chill music, a little up-tempo to raise your spirit. That's what I do.

This evening one of my fans sent me this to cheer me up after I'd cried during a song. It's so lovely and I think you might like it, too.

If you ever need someone to talk to when your feelings rage, Papyrus has trained excellent counsellors. HOPELineUK

- Call: 0800 068 41 41

- Email: pat@papyrus-uk.org

-SMS: 07786 209697

Reference: https://www.papyrus-uk.org/

Closed Thread