TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
London1621 Offline
No worries
Regular TeenHelper

Name: London

I'm not sure. - May 4th 2018, 03:00 AM

Hi, so I'm not sure if this girl is faking having depression. She is in four of my classes and I am not friends with her, and when she is in the classroom she acts different than in the hallways and at lunch. When she is in the hallways and at lunch and I see her she is laughing, joking around with different people and always happy. Then when we get into classes she acts confused and says she doesn't understand what is happening, can't do her homework and she is mean to us. Some of the teachers are nice to her and some tell her to stop what she is doing. Then she yells out that she has depression, no one says anything in class. I don't really know what to say. I am wondering if anyone can try to help me with this please. Thank you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I'm not sure. - May 6th 2018, 09:43 PM

Hey there,

I don't think anyone can tell you if the person is faking. It is possible that she is, I suppose. However, in my opinion, if she is faking depression there is still an issue. People that fake having illnesses for attention or what have you still need support. The reason is that if someone feels they have to fake an illness for attention then they obviously have things going on in their lives that are making them feel that they do not have support. Now, if this girl does have depression that doesn't give her the right to be mean to you all. I know that some people with depression have irritability (I get that way) but we all must be accountable for our actions even if we are irritable due to depression etc.

You said that this girl acts happy in the halls but it's possible that she feels comfortable with the people she is laughing with or it's possible that she is faking happiness so her friends do not worry.

I think that if you are really concerned about this you could consider talking to the school counselor about this. They might already be aware of the situation and they might be trying to help this person. However, they might also be able to provide you with ways to cope with this particular situation.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
London1621 Offline
No worries
Regular TeenHelper

Name: London

Re: I'm not sure. - May 9th 2018, 08:09 PM

Hi, thank you so much for your reply and help. I talked with my school counselor today and told her about this and she is going to talk with her to see if she needs help or anything. Thank you again.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ruining moods since 2003
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dori. Not the fish.

Re: I'm not sure. - May 18th 2018, 10:08 PM

I don't know. The laughing at lunch has nothing to do with it, as I've had professionals confirm that I have major depression but I still laugh and enjoy being with my friends.

To me it seems like she might have depression as she is very mood-swingy and can't really focus on a task. But she's using it as a crutch and an excuse to act out, like she's privileged just because she's depressed. Sounds annoying.

Closed Thread