TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LightLili Offline
LightLili
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Just call me Lili :)

Unhappy Just feeling generally crappy - June 15th 2018, 08:18 AM

I think I'm plunging into another depressive episode. I've just started feeling no motivation to do anything at all. Like, a sort of wave comes over me and I can't even fathom doing anything productive. I have to force myself to get up off the couch. This sucks because I have a lot of schoolwork to do, by a deadline, and I can't imagine myself doing any of it but that also makes me anxious.
I can't tell my parents these things because my dad is convinced that mental illness (and everything else, including suicidal thoughts) is caused purely by diet* and they might just try to get me to go ketogenic again or whatever. I don't even know if my dad would let me see a therapist anymore.
I have this feeling in my chest, I guess a mix of depression and anxiety, and it physically hurts. But.. I don't know what to do this time.

Okay, this is more of a vent than anything. It probably doesn't even make any sense. It's just, I feel I can't exactly reach out to anybody and I have to write something down somewhere. Thanks to whoever reads

*Oh but also sometimes "the blues" is caused by nothing more than a misaligned spine and all one needs is a trip to a chiropractor! Boom, depression cured!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Just feeling generally crappy - June 16th 2018, 12:48 AM

Hello,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this right now and I hope that you will be okay soon. Can you try finding someone to talk with about what you are going through? A friend or a friend's parents or the school counselor or a teacher that is really nice and you are able to talk with them about what you are going through? Also if it is hard to say this face to face to them, you can always try writing a letter and put everything in it that you are going through and ask for help with this.

You said that you have a lot of school work to get done, can you say to yourself I am going to do this assignment, then take a break and you can go for a walk or put on some music for 10 minutes and then try another assignment. And if you need another break go ahead and take it and go get a cup of tea or coffee or something else that you like to drink or a snack that will help pick you up and then come back and try another one. Or put on a funny TV show and when that is over then trying other one. I hope that you will be okay soon.

HelpLINK Mentor and Forum Moderator. PM/VM

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
itís about learning to Dance in the Rain!

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
JustTheKeags Offline
Meme a Day Keeps th Feels Away
Average Joe

Name: Keagan

Re: Just feeling generally crappy - June 19th 2018, 05:21 AM

I completely understand where you are coming from. My mother is like your dad, convinced that diet is the only thing that matters. Depressive episodes can happen anytime, but they might be caused by something. Do you know of anything that might have triggered it? It could be as simple as a few words from a friend that you dwell on and it triggers a depressive episode.

Otherwise, try exercise! It may seem hard at first, but it is one of the many ways to get out of depressive episodes! Other activities, such as coloring and music can help you get your mind drift, which could make you feel better.

Do you have any coping mechanisms?

-Keags

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
dorris Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Just feeling generally crappy - June 19th 2018, 12:27 PM

I understand that. So sorry to know what you are going through. You could try exercising may be?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
LightLili Offline
LightLili
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Just call me Lili :)

Re: Just feeling generally crappy - June 25th 2018, 02:10 AM

Thank you all for the support and suggestions To you who asked if there might have been a specific trigger, it could possibly be related to the stress from the school work, honestly.

And as for being able to talk to someone, to be quite honest the one counselor at my school... isn't great. And I certainly am not close to any teachers. It's currently summertime, anyway (the fact that I still have to work is part of a sort of long story). The best I can think of is I have some online friends who I can confide in every once in a while but I still don't like to be much of a bother.

As for exercise: I do think it could be helpful to take a walk with my dog sometimes (: Also, I've found a coloring app that's very relaxing and helps me take my mind off things for a while.

Closed Thread