TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
im just a dead man walking
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Suicide watch is a joke - September 10th 2018, 11:43 PM

I see this videos of people stopping jumpers but why? Just to be called hero’s? Who gives you the right to stop someone for taking there own life is there a law that forces police to stop people commit suicide ? That I am unaware off? I find this wrong

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1328959 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Suicide watch is a joke - September 11th 2018, 02:11 AM

While you may find that preventing someone from taking their own life to be wrong, just remember that some people take their own life not because they want to die, but because they're unhappy with something going on in their life, such as their home environment for example. To some, attempting suicide is a cry for help just as much as self-harm is an expression of pain and unhappiness.

A person stopping someone from committing suicide isn't always a bad thing. It just depends on your perspective of it. Not everybody is in their right mind when they attempt suicide. There could be other factors involved such as mental illness. Also, people stopping others from 'jumping' doesn't meant they're doing it to be 'heroes', they're doing it to prevent someone from taking away their own life.

From one perspective it could be considered wrong, which is acceptable, but on the other side, there are countless times when someone has prevented another from taking their own life, and become all the better for it.

I was 18 years old when I attempted suicide for the 7th time. My family rushed me to the hospital because I had overdosed. By the time the emergency team at the hospital got to me, my heart was beating really fast and I began to become extremely sleepy. No doubt what I had taken was certainly doing its work. I took those pills because I was unhappy with my life. I was sexually abused at the age of just 3 by my own father. My brother too when I was 13 years old and he was 15. No matter how much I told him no, he wouldn't take no for an answer. My grandmother became physically and emotionally abusive on so many levels. I was being bullied to hell in school solely because of the colour of my hair. I was struggling with my sexuality. I put my trust in someone I met online who then turned out not to be who they said they were. Needless to say I didn't grow up happy. My environment was a sham. It was abusive. It was traumatic. I didn't want to be any part of it anymore.

If my family had not bothered to rush me to hospital and take me to ER, I would have been dead. I would not have seen a counsellor and been able to work through my troubles. I would not have reached 27. I would not be in my 3rd year of university. I would not have fallen in love with someone so deeply as I currently do. And most importantly, I would not have experienced this thing called Life.

Think what you will about 'suicide watch'; and while I respect your opinion on the matter, I most certainly do not agree with it.

Life is for living, not for losing.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
~anongirl~ Offline
Not a n00b

Name: anonymousgurl

Re: Suicide watch is a joke - September 13th 2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivière View Post
While you may find that preventing someone from taking their own life to be wrong, just remember that some people take their own life not because they want to die, but because they're unhappy with something going on in their life, such as their home environment for example. To some, attempting suicide is a cry for help just as much as self-harm is an expression of pain and unhappiness.

A person stopping someone from committing suicide isn't always a bad thing. It just depends on your perspective of it. Not everybody is in their right mind when they attempt suicide. There could be other factors involved such as mental illness. Also, people stopping others from 'jumping' doesn't meant they're doing it to be 'heroes', they're doing it to prevent someone from taking away their own life.

From one perspective it could be considered wrong, which is acceptable, but on the other side, there are countless times when someone has prevented another from taking their own life, and become all the better for it.

I was 18 years old when I attempted suicide for the 7th time. My family rushed me to the hospital because I had overdosed. By the time the emergency team at the hospital got to me, my heart was beating really fast and I began to become extremely sleepy. No doubt what I had taken was certainly doing its work. I took those pills because I was unhappy with my life. I was sexually abused at the age of just 3 by my own father. My brother too when I was 13 years old and he was 15. No matter how much I told him no, he wouldn't take no for an answer. My grandmother became physically and emotionally abusive on so many levels. I was being bullied to hell in school solely because of the colour of my hair. I was struggling with my sexuality. I put my trust in someone I met online who then turned out not to be who they said they were. Needless to say I didn't grow up happy. My environment was a sham. It was abusive. It was traumatic. I didn't want to be any part of it anymore.

If my family had not bothered to rush me to hospital and take me to ER, I would have been dead. I would not have seen a counsellor and been able to work through my troubles. I would not have reached 27. I would not be in my 3rd year of university. I would not have fallen in love with someone so deeply as I currently do. And most importantly, I would not have experienced this thing called Life.

Think what you will about 'suicide watch'; and while I respect your opinion on the matter, I most certainly do not agree with it.
You are beyond strong for going what you went through. Like, I read your response and I am just shook right now. I am so so amazed and your strength and perseverance despite all this horrific abuse you endured from the man you called a father, your brother, your grandmother, and those people from school. I honestly aspire to be as brave and patient as the woman you are today.

As for the OP, it is most definitely a controversial topic. Some people believe suicide watch is something that by law should be stopped by authorities to save the person, others think you leave it up to the person. Though I most certainly do not agree with the latter of the two. What makes you so entitled that you think its "so bad" for those people to save individuals who are quite literally about to end their own life? I sensed so much anger in your post and I just don't get that.

What's to blame about someone stopping someone else from killing themselves???

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
im just a dead man walking
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Suicide watch is a joke - September 15th 2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~anongirl~ View Post
You are beyond strong for going what you went through. Like, I read your response and I am just shook right now. I am so so amazed and your strength and perseverance despite all this horrific abuse you endured from the man you called a father, your brother, your grandmother, and those people from school. I honestly aspire to be as brave and patient as the woman you are today.

As for the OP, it is most definitely a controversial topic. Some people believe suicide watch is something that by law should be stopped by authorities to save the person, others think you leave it up to the person. Though I most certainly do not agree with the latter of the two. What makes you so entitled that you think its "so bad" for those people to save individuals who are quite literally about to end their own life? I sensed so much anger in your post and I just don't get that.

What's to blame about someone stopping someone else from killing themselves???
I am angry 24/7 lol and if some one is done with there life who are you to stop that person it’s some ones own choice

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

Closed Thread