TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Abbigale Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy I'm worried - November 13th 2018, 06:37 AM

My father just had a surgery and this has put us in a financial bind. Its to the point where I'm considering selling my art to put food on our table,pay rent and possibly be able to go to the school dance. I'm learning that I have to put his needs over mine. This means I won't go to NYC like ive dreamed for forever. And prom may be out of the question. My boyfriend has asked me and I'm too Embarassed to tell him I just can't afford it...my paychecks (what little ive received) go toward clothing for me and food. I don't have much winter clothing we are barely surviving on what we have now)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lexi

Re: I'm worried - November 14th 2018, 08:40 PM

I think what you are doing is something very special. I also think your boyfriend would totally understand what you are going for at he also just might be able to help you out and make it happen that you can go to the Prom. I would tell him what you are going through.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: I'm worried - November 16th 2018, 07:30 AM

Hey,
First I want to say I am sorry that you are going through this.

I think it is great that you want to help your family out. I understand that you guys are in trouble, but that doesn't mean you have to put your needs aside for him. You have to be able to take care of yourself in order to take care of others as well.

Why do you think you can't go to NYC? You may not be able to right now, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to in the future. As for prom, I think you should tell your boyfriend the reason you cannot go. I know your embarrassed but he will probably understand.

As for clothes have you thought about going to thrift stores, second hand stores, or goodwill? They have a lot of clothes and they are cute.I've gotten a lot of cute clothes from some of those places.

I hope this has helped
If you ever need to talk I am just a PM/VM away

Your friend,
Frankie<3

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
RORO Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I'm worried - November 17th 2018, 11:13 PM

I am so sorry you going through this. You are one strong and selfless person to be thinking of your family when Prom is coming up. If it was up to me I would just ditch that stupid Prom and have a special night with just you and your Boyfriend that wouldn't cost you and him an arm and a leg but that is just me. I know many people have to have that High school experience. In that case you have to let your boyfriend know what is up. I do think he will understand and you two can work out a plan together. I hope everything works out for you and whatever your plans may end up being that night that they may be magical.

Closed Thread