TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PoeticJessie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jessie

Nightmares are back.. - November 30th 2018, 01:26 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I had gotten really good about not having Nightmares as often as I had at one point. I had worked really hard to try to deal with my past so they would go away. They got better, until my rapist/stalker came back to town a couple weeks ago. Now, I'm having Nightmares every night/morning (I sleep in 4-5 hour blocks around my second job) and I have no idea how to get rid of them. I'm constantly scared that my rapist will show up at my job or house, and every time I sleep, I have nightmares of him doing so. My mom says to stop being scared because I'm giving him all the power, but how do you stop being scared of someone who damn near killed you once? Who forced you to miscarry? Who threatened your baby sister? How do stop being scared of someone who has the ability to ruin your life? It's like being told to move on - how can I put the past in the past when the past follows me?

I just want to sleep without Nightmares again. Is there anything I can do (besides really strong sleeping pills - I have a 4 month old, so I need to be able to wake up) to help with these or am I just stuck until they go away on their own?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Nightmares are back.. - November 30th 2018, 09:07 PM

Hi Jessie,

I'm sorry to hear that the nightmares are back, nightmares can feel so real at times. I've been having some lately to the point where I called my mom to make sure she was okay.

Some things I've tried and heard work for other people, is a dream catcher, sleeping with a stuffed animals, keeping the door open, or even using aromatherapy.

Dream catchers are mostly used by Native Americans, but a lot of people use them too. They are believed to catch any bad dreams at night and release them in the day when you're aware. I know this sounds odd, but I personally have two hanging above my bed and I do find that most of the time they do work. You can get them fairly cheap, or you can even make your own.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: No Name

Re: Nightmares are back.. - December 1st 2018, 04:09 PM

Hi PoeticJessie, First off, I am so sorry that the Nightmares are recurring again as I know firsthand how horrible they are. My Therapist has told me to journal ideas such as pinpoint problem solving if a case such as my assailants would come back into town or in my case if it comes into my head if they because they both are in jail for a longtime. This gives you back the power of having a plan set and in place. Such as contacting the authorities, therapist, family member, getting to a safe place, etc. Have this etched into your mind and ready to be put into action if they were to come to your job/school.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LOptyre Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Nightmares are back.. - December 1st 2018, 04:31 PM

Hi, PoeticJessie, why not try to have a talk with someone who`s close to you? It seems to me that talking is the most effective medicine, talking to relatives or friends has often helped me!

Closed Thread