TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jennaholt Offline
Not a n00b

Should I continue therapy even if it feels pointless? - July 6th 2019, 11:47 AM

I've been in therapy for a few months now. I did make a lot of progress. My therapist is very supportive and understanding. But something happened in my life and all of a sudden, all my progress went down the drain. I went back to where I started. In fact, much worse than that. So much has happened in my life that everything seems pointless. And sometimes I want to kill myself. I talked to my therapist about this and told him I'm not sure if I should continue therapy anymore because I'm hopeless. He said it's okay to feel hopeless and that I can still continue if I want, even if it doesn't lead anywhere. And just get support or whatever.
I'm not sure if I should continue because I don't want to be wasting his time or mine if I'm going to feel this way and if nothing is ever going to change.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Should I continue therapy even if it feels pointless? - July 6th 2019, 10:37 PM

Hello,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this and everything that you have gone through and I hope that you will be okay soon. When you we're going to therapy and you are talking to somebody you are getting everything that you are feeling out of you and also going through. Sometimes it's really hard to go and talk about everything that has happened to you or what is going on. A therapist will never judge you and it sounds like the person that you have been talking with is really nice and wants to help and support you.

When we are talking to someone sometimes you feel like you are falling backwards, they help us to find ways to cope with what we we're going through and what has happened in the past. And sometimes it can be really hard. Talking to somebody is always really good when we're having a hard time because someone can be around or they can help support us when we need them. Always do what is best for you. If you want to try to ask you're therapist for different things to help you with what you are going through and see what happens. You can also bring things with you to help you so that you are okay with talking to them about what you are going through, a blanket or a teddy bear or something else that means a lot to you and helps calms you down. I wish you the best and hope that you will be okay soon.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor and Forum Moderator. PM/VM

Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
Itís the rhythm of your life. Itís the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques díAmbroise

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Should I continue therapy even if it feels pointless? - July 7th 2019, 09:16 PM

I would recommend continuing with therapy if it was helping you prior to having a set back, especially if you're thinking about ending your life.

It's quite common to experience a set back, even once you've been in therapy for a while. Perhaps instead of wanting to quit, you should talk to your therapist about strategies you can use to resolve this set back and prevent it in the future.

Unfortunately, therapy is a lot of work and it can be really discouraging if you experience a set back or don't progress the way you want for it to, but trust me when I say that it's worth it to persist. I've also been in therapy and sometimes progress has been slower and other times faster, but I persisted because I have seen how things got better when I do the work I learn in therapy.