TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sweetve19 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Veronica

Post physical depression? - June 20th 2009, 04:11 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

lately i havnt just been mentally depressed but my bodies been reacting to it too.

i've been unable to stay sitting because my body just wants to smash itself up. i cant shake the feeling till i SH. and its tearing me apart. not only am i trying to control my emotional thoughts but now i have to find ways to shake a shaky feeling.
ive been twitching and unable to concentrate because i'll just jump from one thing to another. and it all comes down to killing myself.

ik that i shouldnt but i loose it when i get sad enough. i go into like... a depressed coma.. where i freak out and shake and bang my head against things because i try to get rid of these intense feelings. i loose complete commen sense and ablitity to stop myself.

it doesnt last more then a few minutes, but it seems like my depression is getting worse and i have noone to turn to. everyone always looks at it as attention seeking because i dont...do things... like my siblings do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dancer Offline
love, anonymous
I've been here a while

Re: physical depression? - June 20th 2009, 04:27 AM

Hey there,

with continued depression, physical symptoms can come along at some point. I used to shake really badly on a regular basis, and still do sometimes (but it takes more provocation). Instead of trying to "smash" what the physical symptoms out of you, which is typically only more distressing, try finding some way to calm down. I typically start with just making myself stop and take a few deep breaths until I at least feel like my thoughts have stopped running circles around themselves. Warm blankets, soft music, things like that can be helpful.

But you deserve to deal with how you're feeling by being good to yourself, not by hurting yourself. There are always other ways of dealing with things.

Is there a counselor you could talk to, or your doctor? They might be able to help figure out how to handle that as well.

Hang in there

Drown in the music,
dance in the rain,
block out the thunder,
and let the scars fade.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
sweetve19 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Veronica

Re: physical depression? - June 21st 2009, 05:37 AM

thanks that helps alot. and yea idk if i can get into the counslers cuz im to frightened to talk to my parents.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: physical depression? - June 21st 2009, 11:22 AM

Hey there,

I'm sorry that you're suffering with depression and it must be awful to be experiencing physical symptoms too.

Have you found anything that helps ease these symptoms that doesn't include hurting yourself? I know that it may feel as though nothing can help these symptoms, but you may want to check out some self-harm alternatives (here: ). I know that you're trying to get rid of these symptoms and distractions may be helpful to you. If you try distracting yourself from your negative thoughts and feelings, the symptoms may begin to ease somewhat. If you feel as though you're going to go into a 'depressed coma' try and break off the cycle, don't let yourself lie comatose, do something active. You can do something physically or mentally active, just try and break that cycle. Have you tried something like boxing? That inclues physical exertion, but you don't necessarily have to hurt yourself.

It seems as though your symptoms are quite dominating and that must be quite unnerving for you. I would also suggest that you talk to a doctor or a counsellor about how you have been feeling. Do you have a school/guidance counsellor that you could talk to? If you ask about their confidentiality policy then your parents may not even have to find out. I realise how your parents finding out may be a scary prospect, but i'm sure that they'd rather that you got some help and were happy

Closed Thread