TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Star Crow Offline
Average Joe

Should I tell them? - July 1st 2009, 07:33 PM

It's been really stange. My depression seems to get better and worse with the seasons. It's usally really bad in the winter and much better in the summer, but this time even though I've stopped cutting I feel suicidal. I'm really afraid to tell my friends about it because all of them either have said they think suicide is stupid or would flip out. I don't know if I should hold off telling my friends until it gets worse or see if it gets better first because I know I'm not going to try to kill myself until I decide I really want to do it, but if I wait until then It might freak my friends out more.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Should I tell them? - July 1st 2009, 07:50 PM

If you feel that you really should tell your friends about the way you've been feeling, I'd say talk to them about it. They may think it's stupid and say all of those other ignorant things about it simply because they have very little knowledge on the subject. People fear what they don't understand.

Perhaps you should take them aside and talk to them about all of it. Explain to them why you feel the way you do. Answer any questions that they may have about it. Remember that they're still fairly young (if they're your age or even older) and probably have little to no experience with this kind of thing, which may be why their attitude can be seen as mildly ignorant.

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Should I tell them? - July 1st 2009, 11:58 PM

I think it is up to you to make the right decision. Talking with your friends can help get your feelings out before you turn even more suicidal. Waiting can cause even more problems because then maybe by the time you really need help, you may not be wanting to ask for help. If you feel your friends won't understand what you are going through and may just get upset you should try talking to someone else. I know how friends are usually the most helpful since they are your age but talking to a parent, another close family member, or even a counselor at school can help you feel better. PM me if you want!
~Alessa

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Should I tell them? - July 2nd 2009, 12:32 AM

Hey Andy Elf

I think that telling your friends could be really beneficial because it could help you get your feelings out. Talking can be a great way to express your feelings and to start feeling better. Do you think there is one friend you could talk to who wouldn't flip out to much? If so maybe you could go to him/her and talk. Talking can be a scary thing, I will not deny that, but it can also be a very good thing and it might make you feel a little bit better.

If you really don't think that you could talk to your friends is there anyone else that you could talk to? A parent? A cousin? Another trusted adult? Andy you do not deserve to feel this way and maybe if you talked to someone you would start to feel better.

Please hang in there and if you need anyone to talk to feel free to pm me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread