TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
YankeeDoodle90 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Should I Get Help? - July 5th 2009, 06:32 PM

I was reading an article about depression because i wanted to know more about it because i think i am depressed, and it listed 11 general symptoms, and i noticed i had 9 of the symptoms (i bolded the ones i have)

difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
fatigue and decreased energy
feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
irritability, restlessness
loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
overeating or appetite loss
persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment
persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts

should i get help for this? i cant stand feeling like this all the time =(

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lil-x Offline
save me from my dark.
Average Joe

Re: Should I Get Help? - July 5th 2009, 06:42 PM

I think if you are feeling like this you should consider getting some help. Even if you don't have any major issues, you are feeling like this, and your not happy. That's as good a reason as any to get help. Is there anybody you could talk to? A friend, counsellor or parent?

If you talk to a professional about this, such as a counsellor, you could soon start to feel better about yourself. You could also discover the root of these feelings and what is leaving you feeling like this. You shouldn't have to go through this, things will get better.

Feel free to PM me anytime. Take care.

xx

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Should I Get Help? - July 5th 2009, 06:49 PM

You know yourself better than anyone else does, if you think you need help, and it looks like you have a lot of symptoms, you should look into getting help. If you don't know how your parents will react maybe try telling a friend or a friend's parents, you're over 18 so you won't need permission. Also, if you're in college/university, you can get services for free.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: Should I Get Help? - July 5th 2009, 06:49 PM

Hi

If you think you have depression you should go to the doctor. Its not really that helpful to list symptons yourself, because the more you list the symptons, the more you will be aware & without being consious of it you will start displaying the symptons even more.

However if you think you are depressed, then you have a lot of people to talk to....doctor....friend....relative. Your not alone when struggling with depression. You can get helped. I hope you talk to someone so as you can get helped. You dont desrve to go through all these bad feelings.

Jamie
xx

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
ink-knight Offline
Let Your Love Flow
Not a n00b

Name: Ink

Re: Should I Get Help? - July 5th 2009, 08:39 PM

Hi Yankee Doodle, like everyone else has said, go to the doctor if you think you need to. Depression feels horrible and I know that sometimes it feels like your spiraling out of control. But also, don't try to diagnose yourself from online things. I'm not trying to accuse you of that, I'm just speaking from personal experience with WebMD. If you feel you need help, by all means get it! Here's to better days!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Should I Get Help? - July 5th 2009, 09:00 PM

Hi there,

I think that if it’s what you want and what you’re comfortable with, you should try and see someone about your symptoms of depression.

It is good that you’re taking the initiative to try and get some help for your problems and hopefully seeing a doctor will allow you to get a proper, qualified diagnosis, which unfortunately we can not give you. I would, however, encourage you to NOT self-diagnose in the meantime as when people do research illnesses, some people do become prone to noticing or even developing symptoms which they would not necessarily have or notice otherwise. I believe that the best thing would be to go to your doctor who is qualified to diagnose you and administer appropriate treatment.

You say that you feel like this all the time – that must be very hard for you. As these symptoms are affecting your day to day life, I would encourage you to see a doctor. There are many treatments that can help alleviate the symptoms you’re having, you don’t have to suffer from these feelings forever.

Good luck with getting your help.

Closed Thread