TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Anxiety Over The Future - July 7th 2009, 01:19 AM

I am so worried about my future. I don't know what I am going to do, and I still feel completely worthless. How am I ever going to manage to have and support a family? At this stage, getting a girlfriend seems to be beyond me. How could I even expect a girl to stay with me?

I'm realizing that I'm really not that intelligent. My dreams that I have had all through high school are actually impractical, and it makes me think that I have made a mistake in my course of study. I'm afraid that I'll graduate with a relatively worthless degree and end up living alone for the rest of my life because I wont be able to make enough money. I'm not intelligent enough.

Because of all this, I wish I was a different person. I feel like I have no control over any of this, and I'm probably right.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ATR_rules Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Anxiety Over The Future - July 7th 2009, 01:43 AM

Hey, I have the same feeling too. I accomplished so much in high school and when i started college, i went into the partying path and now im going to my third year and i have not declared a major yet. but i think i will figure something if i ask my advisers for help.

Asking for help is asking for strength. When i was really depressed after a night of heavy drinking, i went to see a counselor and she helped me alot. i went to talk to several more people and they gave me advice on what i should. even though i am not in the major that i wanted to be in, i think if i explore my options, i will find something.

find something that you are really passionated about and ask people for advice. i tried doing things on my own but i failed so asked people.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Anxiety Over The Future - July 7th 2009, 03:31 PM

Hey there,

Gosh, I can relate right now - I think at this time of year many people are stressing about over their future – it’s a nerve wracking thing. Don’t think that you’re the only one who’s nervous about the future, there’s plenty of people, so you’re not alone.

I’m sorry that you’re feeling worthless, but I can assure you – you’re not. No one is worthless. I also want you to remember that when you’re in a negative state of mind, which it seems as though you are, it can be even harder to imagine a future, especially a good future. It’s hard to look for positive things when you’re feeling so low. Sometimes you just have to trust that there is the opportunity for good things to happen – because there IS that opportunity.

Choosing a course/degree/career can be very difficult. If you’re worried about anything related to your course or learning or anything of that nature, talking to a teacher/mentor/careers advisor would be a very good idea as it may help you to work out some ideas and it may put your mind at rest a little. I really don’t think that any degree is worthless, otherwise nobody would bother trying to get one!

There really is no point in wishing that you were a different person – you are who you are (and I’m pretty sure that’s not a bad thing!). You’re just having a tough time right now and you’re starting to get a little stressed about things. The thing is, you only seem to be thinking about the negative prospects. You really should try to think about the positives of your situation. You’re getting a degree, it could lead you to a good job, you could get a girlfriend in the future. You don’t know what the future will hold and sometimes trying to predict that just makes us freak-out, which isn’t good. No, you don’t have complete control over the future, but neither does anyone else.

Try not to worry, I’m sure that things will work out.
Take care.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Anxiety Over The Future - July 8th 2009, 11:09 PM

Maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Anxiety Over The Future - July 9th 2009, 12:14 AM

Hey there,

I know the feeling; I think everyone goes through this feeling at one point in time or another but the thing is you will get through it.

The future is definitely a scary thing but you really have to try and not stress about it too much. Basically take it one step at a time. If you think about it too much you will start to get overwhelmed and that is never good.

I think that if you made it this far in life you have to be a somewhat intelligent person so please try not to cut yourself down. If you are worried about the path you are taking not being the right one for you go and talk to a counselor and I am sure they will be able to help you out. The counselor will be able tell if the path you are on is right for you based on your grades and what not and if you still feel unsure as to what you want to do the counselor might be able to advise you what else you could do.

There are always other options out there so please don't give up on your future, okay? If you need anything my pm box is always open.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Anxiety Over The Future - July 9th 2009, 06:04 AM

I feel like I am so out of touch with life and the real world. I don't know how I can ever feel like things are normal again.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ATR_rules Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Anxiety Over The Future - July 9th 2009, 06:10 PM

its ok to ask for help. i thought i was weak if i asked for help, but im so glad i did.

i understand how u feel, its pretty hard to smile or have a positive outlook when you are feeling down. but i can let you know that it becomes better if you are willingly to change.

Closed Thread