TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
impuLsive Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Depressed. Thought of suicide or runaway, or self injury. - July 17th 2009, 04:13 AM

Everything goes wrong. I have like, no friends. My parents fight alot. I can never go out, I feel like a prisoner. My moms an idiot. My dads on the verge of the death. We're kinda poor. My ex haunts me. I have nothing. I'm overweight and cant ever stick to a diet. Its just...like everything goes wrong....failed in school this year....everything..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dancer Offline
love, anonymous
I've been here a while

Re: Depressed. Thought of suicide or runaway, or self injury. - July 17th 2009, 04:26 AM

Hey there,

I'm so sorry that things are so rough for you right now. But please know that there are always other ways of dealing with things besides self-harming and suicide. And running away can get kind of difficult - trust me on that one...

On school - grades don't reflect anything about you as a person. I have a cousin who failed just about every year of school, but his senior year he was finally able to pick up some momentum. He graduated, is going to a good college, and is pretty happy with how things are, and he's kind of everyone's favorite cousin. So please don't worry about school. Next year you just get another chance to start fresh. Try talking to your teachers about getting some extra help from them or a tutor if things don't seem to be going well.

And I'm sorry that you don't feel like you have any friends. We're always here to talk and whatnot. And sometimes doing a hobby in a group can help with friend-making. What do you like to do? For example, for those who like art, drawing classes can help them meet people, there's playing team sports, things like that.

I understand what it's like, being stuck at your house. Is there any way you could just get out to go for a walk? Or when your at home, do things that affirm you, like listening to the music that you want to or watching one of your favorite TV shows or reading a book that you like or something like that, so that even though you may be at home, you can still do things that make you happy.

I'm sorry about your parents fighting - mine tend to fight, too, and I know how hard that can be. Again, even when your parents are fighting, you get to not be even harder on yourself. You get to something for you when other people aren't. I'm not sure if you've gotten a chance to check it out, but there's a list of alternatives to self-harm in the SH forum, too. And is there someone like a counselor, at school or even out of school, that you could try talking to?

Have you tried talking to your doctor about your weight? He/she will probably be able to help you figure out a health plan that will work for you, if you let him/her know what you're worried about and the difficulties that you're having.

On your ex... sometimes finding ways to get more completely closure can be helpful, like writing down what about the old relationship is still bothering you and then finding ways to resolve that, or tearing the paper into strips and then blowing it away, to symbolize that you're moving on, now. There's the relationships forum, too, which might be able to offer you some more advice.

Hang in there. Even when everything's going wrong, there are still things that will manage to go right. And you did the right thing by posting and asking for help.

So hang in there It'll be okay.

Drown in the music,
dance in the rain,
block out the thunder,
and let the scars fade.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Re: Depressed. Thought of suicide or runaway, or self injury. - July 17th 2009, 04:27 AM

don't give up hope.
things will be okay after awhile.
find something to do that distracts you from thinking of these things.
make a plan.
like i did that today:
i want to stay harm free.
i want to write more songs.
i want to go running everyday.
i want to go to prayer at church everyday.

things like that.
that YOU want to do.
that will make YOU happy.
good luck! (:

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
impuLsive Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Depressed. Thought of suicide or runaway, or self injury. - July 17th 2009, 04:32 AM

Thanks alot, both of you. I am new but I already love this site. Alot of kind words and inspirational things said, which is something I never experience. Thanks!

I will try to do things, but I can not ever leave home. My mom is wierd, and my dad is on the verge of death. Because of lack of money, I can never go anywhere. My dad is too worried to let me go walking anywhere.. I don't really ever go to the doctor.. so I'm not sure there. Things are really hard financially right now.

~Contact Information:on:
AIM: Bless3dYoungN (feel free to IM me at any time!)
Click here to check out my blog!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Depressed. Thought of suicide or runaway, or self injury. - July 17th 2009, 04:38 AM

Hi there :] I can definitely relate to what you are going through, I find myself feeling this way a lot as well, so you're definitely not alone.

You say you don't have very many friends. Have you ever tried to meet a few more people? I know feeling as if you have no friends more than likely isn't an easy emotion to deal with, so why not try your best to do something about it? What kind of interests do you have? Maybe join some kind of club when you're back in school, or simply start talking to more people. I think that a lot of times when we don't have a lot of people to hang out with, it's not because they're not interested in being friends with us, but because we may not know enough people. Getting to know more people may really help you get rid of the feeling that you don't have any friends. I can promise you that people will be willing to take the time to get to know you, you just have to put a bit of effort into finding those people.

As for your parents, have you ever tried to have a talk with them? Perhaps telling them that their fighting really has a negative effect on you would prevent them from fighting so frequently in the future. I'm sure that they would be willing to listen to you, if you're willing to speak up. Is it your parents who keep you inside your house so often? If so, it's not quite fair that they would be preventing you from getting out of the house during the day, as that's something that can often help feelings of depression subside. Do the best you can to get out everyday, even if it's just taking a bit of walk, or going to the store. Staying in the same house everyday definitely does not make things any better when it comes to depression.

You may feel as if you are struggling with your weight, but that doesn't make you a bad person. I honestly think that none of us would truly be human if we didn't constantly worry about or weight

If you feel you are having a hard time losing weight, have you ever considered talking to a doctor? They could refer you to a dietitian, who would help work out a diet plan that would work for you. Don't feel bad about yourself because of your weight, it says nothing about the person you really are - the person who matters.

You may haven't have gotten the most decent grades in school this year, but that does not mean next year can't be better. What has been holding you back in school, causing you to get the grades that you did? If it's a lack of understanding of what you're are being taught, maybe you could consider getting a tutor. If paying for a tutor is an issue, is there some kind of program at your school that could help you improve your grades? I know that they often have extra help for kids who may be struggling with their work in schools. If there's any subject you struggle most in, talk to your teacher and see what they can do to help you. I'm sure that they will be willing to give you a bit of extra help in order to see your grades improve.

Don't let these problems control your life, or prevent you from seeing all of the good positive things you still have in your life. You may be struggling now, but things will get better for you in the future, I promise. You always have hope

PM me anytime. Hang in there. x

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#6 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Re: Depressed. Thought of suicide or runaway, or self injury. - July 17th 2009, 04:41 AM

impuLsive;
if you ever want to talk,
you can also IM me on AIM.
my screen name is
'liveforchrist723'

(:
i'm always there if you ever need anything.

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
dancer Offline
love, anonymous
I've been here a while

Re: Depressed. Thought of suicide or runaway, or self injury. - July 17th 2009, 04:43 AM

Hey, glad to maybe have helped at least a little And you're definitely welcome around here :hugs:

Parents are just frustratingly complicated sometimes. It sucks. But in the midst of whatever stress may be going on with them, please remember to take care of yourself, even if it's just in little ways, like sleeping in ten minutes longer (though for me that sometimes, er, unintentionally becomes an hour or so longer... ) or reminding yourself of things you have to be proud of about you.

I counselor that I used to go to let me know that she didn't want financial stuff to be the reason I couldn't see her and let me know that she was willing to work things out, so if you do ever look into a counselor, don't let paying or anything discourage you. Same with the doctor - it's important that your needs be taken care of, too. Sometimes calling a helpline (I personally like Hopeline, 1-800-442-HOPE) can also be helpful in sorting things out, finding solutions, and just venting.

Hang in there. And feel free to PM me anytime!

Drown in the music,
dance in the rain,
block out the thunder,
and let the scars fade.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
impuLsive Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Depressed. Thought of suicide or runaway, or self injury. - July 17th 2009, 04:51 AM

Thanks everyone, it really means alot.
Dancer: Thanks, I will def. try that!
Concrete Girl: I live in the suburbs, but I dont live in a neighborhood, just a house on the road, and my yards very small. My dad is too worried and things, so I cant leave the yard.. he thinks something bad will happen. I can't walk or anything. I never have anyone to take me anywhere...so I feel imprisoned. It's been like this for YEARS now.

~Contact Information:on:
AIM: Bless3dYoungN (feel free to IM me at any time!)
Click here to check out my blog!

Closed Thread