TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Guitarfreak125 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Depression, Sucidal Thoughts, lonliness - July 29th 2009, 04:14 AM

Alright, so I am a guy who is almost 17. I have been dealing with my depression for about 5 years. At the beginning of this year I had my mom get me to a therapist because I was tired of dealing with the depression. He basically told me I also had depression and social anxiety, then he put me on Zoloft. That ended after about 2.5 months when I almost ended up killing myself because the meds stopped working. He then sent me to a psychiatrist, who then put me on Effexor, later that stopped working too, so he bumped my dosage to 150mg(from 30mg). He decided to then put me on Zyprexa to help stabilize me, but it made me sick the next day, which made me come home from work early, so I stopped taking it.

The whole reason I am posting this is because I feel that I'm losing it. I am starting to feel really crappy with depression again. I am extremely lonely, hell I am going to be a junior in highschool and I haven't had a girlfriend, and I don't have a whole hell of lot of friends... This all just kinda makes the depression a lot worse, they are triggers most of the time. I mean if I even message a girl via a Social Networking site (myspace/facebook) and I feel any rejection at all (I think I am extremely paranoid about that) I just go into an extreme state of depression and a small amount of hate of myself because I don't think I am worth much. I know my friends and family love me, but why should I have to deal with such a burden? Why does anybody? It just doesn't make any sense.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Depression, Sucidal Thoughts, lonliness - July 29th 2009, 04:29 AM

Hey. *hug* first of all, guitars kick ass. I play. Coolio.

But really, you can't give up hope. Eventually, you WILL get over this depression. And trust me, it takes guts to do what you have done so easily, getting help. Getting a therapist. A lot of people can't do that, but you have. This tells me that you are strong. You also have made it this far, so to me, it's obvious you can get through the depression.

I'm not sure if your therapist and psychiatrists told you this in detail enough, I can't assume they did but they shouldve, meds don't always work on everyone, especially on teenagers because their bodys and horomones are constantly changing. This is why they arn't always precribed to teenagers because they might feel nothing will work for them.
But once your body slows down and you become more of an adult, you WILL lead a normal, healthy life. In fact, I personally think you already are. Contradictory to what all the high schoolers want everyone to believe, not everyone has dated by 16. A lot of people start dating in college. High schoolers are just stupid and think they need to have sex before they're anywhere near to do so.

Again, I say, you WILL get over this. You're strong enough to get through anything.
You can ALWAYS come on here to rant or get help for any problems or just depression.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Depression, Sucidal Thoughts, lonliness - July 29th 2009, 04:32 AM

As someone who has also gone through depression for a couple of years before receiving any help, I can understand the frustration of the meds and crap that are supposed to "help" you. I personally don't think they help at all, so if they make you feel sick, definitely feel free to quit them. I think depression is purely mental and is something we need to overcome by ourselves, not some pills in a bottle.

And hey, about being a junior and not having a girlfriend, don't even worry about. I'm a new junior as well and I've never had a boyfriend either. If you haven't met anybody who you really clicked with yet, don't feel pressured to get into a relationship. I know the fear of rejection well but something that took myself a long time to get over is to not turn that fear inwards because then it generates that self-loathing and I dont need to tell you how bad that can get. Anybody here will tell you, you are not worthless. Not one bit.

I used to feel the same way, I knew my friends and family love me, so why do I have to feel this way? Truth is, nobody knows. Some people, like us, just have a harder time dealing with certain things, its easier for us to crash. Its just how it is and it sucks hardcore but we can get through them. We fall harder than others but it can also let us appreciate the highs in our life better, too. You feel bad now, but things will get better and you'll feel better.

So, I hope this helped a bit, and if you ever want to talk or rant or anything, feel free to message me, 'kay?

Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.

Music is life. Start living.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Guitarfreak125 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Depression, Sucidal Thoughts, lonliness - July 29th 2009, 04:33 AM

Thanks, but I'm just not sure how long I can deal with this, it seems each year it gets worse and worse.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Depression, Sucidal Thoughts, lonliness - July 29th 2009, 04:35 AM

Hey there,

I am so sorry you are struggling but please hang in there because things will get better.

I think it is great that you are talking to a doctor about all of this and I was wondering if you have told your psychiatrist how you feel? If not let him know that you feel as though you are falling or 'losing it' because he/she can help you. It might take a while to find the right combination of medicines but they are out there so don't give up.

Also, I know how hard it can be to go through high school and not have a romantic relationship but believe me there is plenty of time for that. I know it is hard but try and focus on getting better and getting through school and then worry about getting a girlfriend; the thing is you will find one when you are least expecting it or thats what I have noticed.

Please don't think that you are worthless or a burden because you are not; your friends and family would much rather have you here with them then gone. I know at times it is hard to believe that but please try to because it is so true. When you are feeling low maybe you could talk to your friends and family and try and get their support?

I hope this helped and if you need anything please feel free to pm me.

~Jenna~

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Depression, Sucidal Thoughts, lonliness - July 29th 2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarfreak125 View Post
Thanks, but I'm just not sure how long I can deal with this, it seems each year it gets worse and worse.
I know, I went through the same thing. It finally escalated to very bad things before my family found out and I could see a doctor. I'm glad you've at least brought it to your family's attention before it got any worse.

Its getting unbearable, I know, but I promise there will come a day when something changes for you--whether its finding someone you click with or some change thats inside of you--and it will suddenly become so much easier to breathe. Its getting there that sucks and thats where you are right now but you just have to keep moving forward. There's a point in everyone's life when things change for the better and you'll have yours. Just know there's an end to everything, including this depression.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Guitarfreak125 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Depression, Sucidal Thoughts, lonliness - July 29th 2009, 05:00 AM

Thanks guys for the advice, I will try.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Depression, Sucidal Thoughts, lonliness - July 29th 2009, 05:05 AM

Hey, I really hope things get better. Keep us updated if they do

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Guitarfreak125 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Depression, Sucidal Thoughts, lonliness - August 3rd 2009, 04:33 AM

So I have been trying to take your advice, but I just can't seem to shake these feelings. I feel so alone, so totally lost. I feel I'm losing my mind a little bit more each day from the depression.... I don't know how much longer I can hold on, it just keeps getting worse and worse...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
dancer Offline
love, anonymous
I've been here a while

Re: Depression, Sucidal Thoughts, lonliness - August 3rd 2009, 05:04 AM

Hey there,

so, I sort of relate to how you feel. I went through most of school "drifting" from group to group but not really having ties anywhere in particular. Got pretty lonely. I do echo everyone else's advice to just keep hanging in there - it wasn't until about a third of the the way through my senior year in high school that I finally "stuck" with friends. My best friend I hadn't actually talked to much in previous years, either. And I've never had a boyfriend. Sometimes it helps to think about how not having had a romantic relationship yet or anything just means that the later you find one, the more of a chance the people in it have had to mature and come to understand what more depth there's supposed to be in a relationship besides mere puppy love.

But I do understand worrying about being rejected by people. I still worry that even the close friends I've found will just get tired of me someday, or that I've done something wrong and not known it or things like that. But it helps to take a deep breath and realize that "someday" isn't today, and even if someone hasn't responded to a text or something in a day or to, that doesn't mean that they're trying to reject me from their lives. They could be busy, or their phone could have died, or things like that. Basically, trying to mentally reassert the known present positive rather than worrying about a negative that hasn't actually happened yet can be helpful.

And in any case, we're always here to listen, and to help you refind your bearings when you're feeling lost.

Hang in there. Feel free to PM me anytime

Drown in the music,
dance in the rain,
block out the thunder,
and let the scars fade.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Guitarfreak125 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Depression, Sucidal Thoughts, lonliness - August 4th 2009, 02:03 AM

I just can't do this anymore, I mean hell I am eating bags of candy just trying to keep myself from doing anything.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
samaritan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alli

Re: Depression, Sucidal Thoughts, lonliness - August 4th 2009, 03:03 AM

you yourself said that you have been dealing with depression for 5 years. I completly understand how its getting worse by the day because I've been there too. It took 3 different medications over 2 months before i could really tell the difference. I had pushed away almost all of my friends by that time. The point is, right now I am happier than I have ever been. Hope is something taht you cant afford to give up right now.

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
  Send a message via AIM to samaritan  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
dancer Offline
love, anonymous
I've been here a while

Re: Depression, Sucidal Thoughts, lonliness - August 4th 2009, 03:15 AM

Hey there,

hang in there. I'm sorry that things are so tough right now - though resorting to candy is sometimes not as horrid as it can seem. It's typically a good momentary fix and any undesirable effects can usually be jumping jack-ed off later

I have a friend who's been dealing with depression for... possibly over a decade now. There have been some really rough patches for her, but now she's found a combination of things like the right therapist and psychiatrist and friend support that's been helping her. So hang in there - you will be able to find a way to make things manageable at least, and then keep going up from there.

Feel free to PM me. We'll getcha through this.

Drown in the music,
dance in the rain,
block out the thunder,
and let the scars fade.

Closed Thread