TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Diamond Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I feel like I don't have a choice... - August 2nd 2009, 11:13 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hello,

I'm new to the forum so 'hello,' I guess.
I'm here because I don't want to phone any hot lines, nor talk to anyone I know.

Basically, I'm in a really bad situation and feel like I can't face the consequences; I suppose it's 'cowardly' but I've grown beyond caring now.

For a while now, I've been terrified and am counting down the days until I get caught.

I have a problem, when I'm depressed or stressed, I tend to spend money, I will go on the internet and buy things. Fair enough if it's with my money, but for the past few months, I've been using my brother's bank account.

It's gotten to the stage when I've almost drained his account completely, all on crap that keeps me content for a day or two. I feel like I've completely betrayed my brother, as I did a similar thing (not to this extent) a few years ago when I was more immature, I obviously didn't learn from my mistakes. I've betrayed my parents, from hiding my problem and of course, what I've done.

I've completely and utterly manipulated my whole family. They don't really see the 'real' me, to them, I'm happy, but inside I'm very far off it. I've had a really rough year, and could probably have gone and 'faced the music' so to speak. However, due to deeper depression, I feel like I can't.

I believe that the only things I can really do are running away, and suicide. I'm scared of both the options, but I'm more scared of what will happen if I don't. Running away is problematic, when kids 'disappear' you know what happens, I'll be found in less than a day. Suicide, is more methodical for my purpose; it means that I won't need to see my parents, or brother again and therefore, make their lives better and easier.

I don't really know why I'm writing this anyway, I know it's because I have doubts. Perhaps, I need advice as I haven't been able to ask anyone else?

I don't know.

Please help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Paul. Offline
Average Joe

Re: I feel like I don't have a choice... - August 2nd 2009, 01:06 PM

Hey Diamond, welcome to the forums = ]

I've heard of people spending money compulsively in this sort of way, and while I think it’s natural for people to sometimes go out and frivolously spend money sometimes, it sounds like things are out of control.

I don't believe you really want to die, but sometimes when we are depressed we create more issues and get caught in a sort of loop. It can be hard to see out of it. You don't need to do anything drastic to escape this though. It's hard but you are going to have to talk to your parents about the spending problem. I think it may be a good idea to talk to them about the depression at the same time to try to make them understand that this spending is a problem that you have trouble controlling. It's a form of coping really. You could also try writing them a note if you can't bring yourself to talk to them straight off.

Another thing you can try to do that will help is to find more healthy coping methods that are sustainable. These could be anything that helps you deal with stress really; from sports, to hobbies, or just going on a walk.

Suicide doesn't help anybody. It does nothing but cause pain, and waste life. So hang in there and talk to the people that love you about this.

Take care,
~Matt

Closed Thread