TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
shazam Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I don't want to feel this way.. - August 12th 2009, 05:37 AM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm a 16 yr old girl and guys pay absolutely no attention to me. I just feel SO ugly. When I look in the mirror my face distorts and I feel fat and just completely gross. Even though people tell me I'm pretty and what not I still feel that way...especially when I'm in public, like at home it isn't that big of a deal but in public I can barely see straight because I'm so afraid others are looking at me and think I'm fat or ugly. At school it's so bad I can't really socialize I just feel completely WORTHLESS and so I come off as boring and stuck up which I am definitely not! And it's not like I don't try to look good, I wear makeup and I take care of myself I just feel like I am not good enough for anybody and even the people that everyone says are ugly I find things in them that are way better than me. Be it their nose, eyes, legs, boobs, hair, skin, mouth, teeth you name it I always find something better in others and I think "oh that's why nobody likes me, because she has this and I don't"...I just don't want to feel like that anymore..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dancer Offline
love, anonymous
I've been here a while

Re: I don't want to feel this way.. - August 12th 2009, 05:46 AM

Hey there,

welcome to TH! I'm really sorry that you're feeling that way; I can relate to feeling that way, though. Though giving ourselves a list of things we don't like about ourselves rarely helps. It might help some instead for you try to make a list of things that you do like about yourself. For example, when I start cringing in front of the mirror, I go back to starting off with reminding myself how I love how silver nailpolish looks on me. Really tiny, but still a start, and being confident at least in that can help me ease into being comfortable in my own skin again.

Doing that with things like "I am actually a nice person" or "I care about people" can also help with self-confidence, which can also help with socialization. You probably don't come off as boring or stuck up, though, even though it might feel that way. Doing things like clubs, where there's something to talk about or an activity to be engaged in, might also help. And when you do start to notice that you're comparing yourself other people, maybe try telling yourself instead, "I'm the only one who..." For example, "I'm the only one who has my smile," or "I'm someone who has great eyes."

But I promise, you are not worthless. Not at all. And you are not ugly in any way. Talking to your doctor about how you're feeling might help as well - there are actually some "disorders" (kind of a scary word, but all it really means is that doctors have said, "oh, we came up with a name for feeling that way") which can lead to feeling that way about yourself, but which can be addressed pretty easily.

Hang in there. And feel free to PM me anytime if you'd ever like to talk about anything

Drown in the music,
dance in the rain,
block out the thunder,
and let the scars fade.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
shazam Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I don't want to feel this way.. - August 12th 2009, 05:48 AM

Thanks, but the thing is there is nothing I like about myself. Not even the tiniest thing, everything I used to like people have convinced me not to like. Idk I guess I should talk toa doctor.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
dancer Offline
love, anonymous
I've been here a while

Re: I don't want to feel this way.. - August 12th 2009, 05:57 AM

Well, you posted here, and you're reaching out for help, so you should be proud of yourself at least for that! Not even "at least," it's a giant thing to do

Talking to a doctor often helps. I obviously can't give any actual medical diagnosis or anything, but I know sometimes things like body dysmorphic disorder and depression can lead to feeling that way, but both are treatable, so even though it can be scary talking to a doctor (actually, I think it's scarier thinking about talking to a doctor than actually doing it), doing so can really help things get better, rather than just having to push through it on your own.

And I'm positive that there are things for you to love about yourself. Even if it's that you have good taste in socks Really, starting off with things that seem completely ridiculous can really help in terms of being confident in yourself and at least can sometimes get a bit of a smile.

Drown in the music,
dance in the rain,
block out the thunder,
and let the scars fade.

Closed Thread