TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
chook14 Offline
♪ itchin' on a photograph ♫
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ella

Will it ever go away? - August 16th 2009, 02:18 AM

I experienced depression, starting when i was 13. The worst of it lasted until i was 16. I asked my parents for help when i was 15, but rather then offering me support they began emotionally abusing me. That lasted for about a year. I havn't cut myself in 1 and half years, which i'm really proud of, and i don't think i'll ever do it again. The thing that worries me is that although i was able to pull myself out of the depression, i feel that in a sense, it's still with me. I start crying everytime i think of my parents. suicidal thoughts still cross my mind, although i don't awknowledge them, or allow them to effect me. I'm scared that i will never be able to move on. I don't know who i am anymore, and i'm scared that when i thought i was past the depression, it was really just hiding. Will i experience depression for the rest of my life? or will it go away? I'm so young, and really want a future thats not defined by what happend in my past, but i'm scared it's impossible.
If anyone has personal experience moving on from depression, that they feel ok about sharing, i think that would really help Thank you so much.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
anomie Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Will it ever go away? - August 16th 2009, 02:26 AM

http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...own-depression

This should answer your question Let's hope you're in the 50 to 66% of people who never experience a relapse!

Quote:
Percentage of depression patients who recovered following 16 weeks of drug or psychotherapy and remained well during 18 months of follow-up: 24%

Rate of depression relapse for recovering patients: 33% to 50%

Two-year incidence rate of major depression in the offspring of depressed parents: 8.5%

Mean time to recovery for offspring of depressed parents exposed to a divorce in the family, in weeks: 66.7

Mean time to recovery for offspring of depressed parents not exposed to divorce, in weeks: 29

Two-year relapse rate of depressed patients treated by medication: 50%

Two-year relapse rate of depressed patients treated by cognitive therapy: 21%

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Will it ever go away? - August 16th 2009, 06:16 AM

Hey Ella,

I am sorry that you have had to go through all of this. You have been through some rather difficult times but you have got through them, which I think shows how much strength and determination you have.

I can't even imagine how horrible it must have been for you to ask your parents for help then they emotionally abused you for a year. But always remember it wasn't your fault and you do deserve help. Not everyone will react like that and it must have put you off reaching out for help. You shouldn't let it though because people will want to help you so you can live a happy life like you deserve.

It seems like you have bottled things up and just tried to push them away. But more than likely these things will only come back to you at a later date so you have to deal with them. You definitely won't experience this for the rest of your life. Things will change and you can live a happy life like you deserve However, things might not just change overnight but it will happen so don't give up! I think for you to move on and be happy you might need to talk about what has happened in the past perhaps with a counsellor or someone professional. Is there anyone you feel you could talk to?

Depression does end so it definitely won't last forever. You can get better so don't give up

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Apollo34 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Paul (Apollo)

Re: Will it ever go away? - August 16th 2009, 06:55 AM

Wow, I'm right where you are. I feel like, even though I'm over my depression, I still feel it. And I get caught in little depression moods when something goes wrong, although I still cut every now and then. I'm addicted =S

But anyways, I know what you mean by feeling it's still there. It's pretty intense. PM me if you want to talk more. =D

Closed Thread