TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
imbound Offline
hopeful dreamer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rena

How do you know if you are depressed? - November 3rd 2009, 05:49 AM

How do you really know? I mean I'm beginning to think that I am, but I'm not sure. I have my moments where I have my breakdowns, but afterward I just pick myself up and go on. It's gotten to the point where they are beginning to happen more and more often. I Even if my friends are around I still feel... lonely I guess. I'm Apathetic to a lot of things now. I'm starting to lose faith in a lot of things and people. But because my breakdown only last a few hours, since I'm not always crying, and I push everything to the back of my mind, I wonder if that means I'm coping well or not. Am I really depressed about everything and just in denial or am is this normal for a person. I was wondering if I needed to get counseling but they ask specifically what your problem is, anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts. One I'm afraid to go, and two I really don't know what my problem is, three I don't like therapist. What are your thoughts? Am I depressed or what? I usually think that I don't have a problem at all, but I'm starting to think otherwise.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jennifer

Re: How do you know if you are depressed? - November 5th 2009, 02:24 AM

i know how you feel...
i've been thinking i'm depressed for a few months now, and now it's gotten to the point where it's taking over my life

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Re: How do you know if you are depressed? - November 5th 2009, 02:39 AM

Hey there,

No one here can diagnose you with any mental illness. However, it does sound like your emotions have been affecting you a lot lately. If you are concerned, speak with your doctor; he or she will be able to give you a better idea of what is normal and what is not. He or she will also be able to reccomend a form of treatment, should you require it.

While you may not need counseling at this time, I think that it is so important that you talk to someone about how you are feeling. A close friend, a relative; anyone who you can trust will do. Talking about these things, getting them out from inside your heart, can be theraputic on it's own. I know it can be scary to open up about these kind of things, but it is so worth it in the end. You deserve to be heard; so reach out. It's okay.

Take care, and if you need anything, just let me know.

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Savanna Offline
Average Joe

Re: How do you know if you are depressed? - November 5th 2009, 07:16 PM

You can also go online and take test that determine if you are depressed. Then if you are you should go see a doctor.
  Send a message via MSN to Savanna Send a message via Yahoo to Savanna Send a message via Skype™ to Savanna 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: How do you know if you are depressed? - November 8th 2009, 08:45 AM

I think it's levels of depression. Sadness, hopeless, death wish. Death wish is the stage where you no longer care whether you live or die, you let your entire world and life fall apart - it feels like hell, you keep slipping unable to climb back up to stable ground. But, usually - from what I've heard - seeing where that path can ultimately lead you scares a lot into snapping back to reality. Slippery slope isn't instant, it's gradual and you won't see it until it's too late. Thus, suggest try to handle however it is you're feeling without letting it take over completely and don't try to self-medicate in this state of mind... only leads you down further. Best of luck, if you ever need anything PM me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Re: How do you know if you are depressed? - November 8th 2009, 01:11 PM

Hey there. I did some research, and I found this really helpful article. As said before, nobody on this site can diagnose you with depression or any other disorder. I would say the fact that you are concerned about it, is a sign in itself that there may be something you need help with.

The symptoms listed below are not to be used as a self-diagnosis. This is just an article to help you determine if having depression is a possibility.

Quote:

Symptoms that people have when they're depressed can include:
  • depressed mood or sadness most of the time (for what may seem like no reason)
  • lack of energy and feeling tired all the time
  • inability to enjoy things that used to bring pleasure
  • withdrawal from friends and family
  • irritability, anger, or anxiety
  • inability to concentrate
  • significant weight loss or gain
  • significant change in sleep patterns (inability to fall asleep, stay asleep, or get up in the morning)
  • feelings of guilt or worthlessness
  • aches and pains (with no known medical cause)
  • pessimism and indifference (not caring about anything in the present or future)
  • thoughts of death or suicide
When someone has five or more of these symptoms most of the time for 2 weeks or longer, that person is probably depressed.

Teens who are depressed may show other warning signs or symptoms, such as lack of interest or motivation, poor concentration, and low mental energy caused by depression. They also might have increased problems at school because of skipped classes.

http://teenshealth.org/teen/your_min...epression.html
You should really tell someone who you can trust about how you are feeling: a parent, teacher, counselor, friend. Seeing a doctor is the only sure way of knowing if you have depression or not. They can provide you with the help that you may need. It may seem scary telling someone at first, but just know that it will be better in the end.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about anything else. Take care.

we've escaped our capture

Laugh loudly, sing like no one's listening, dance like no one's watching, stay in the moment, get that adrenaline pumpin', deep breaths, be easy on yourself <3 PM me

Closed Thread