TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Suicide and schools - November 11th 2009, 03:55 AM

There is currently a debate going on in my hometown about school reactions to suicide. A student took his/her life last school year, and now the rest of the class are seniors and want to honor this student with a graduation banner and memorial page in the yearbook.

The principal has spoken out against the idea, saying it's standard policy NOT to include deceased individuals in the official "class" (so no mention in yearbook, graduation, etc) and especially in this case because the student committed suicide during junior year and therefore "never was" a member of the senior class.

There is no explicit policy about this, but the school board gives the power to the principal in these situations, and he is not wavering in his decision to prevent memorials from appearing in the yearbook and on graduation banners in the lobby. He even spoke out to the mother of the student, telling her not to purchase a page in the yearbook for her child (something that all parents of senior students are allowed to buy and fill with pictures/messages for their graduate).

Do you think this is wrong? The administration apparently believes that memorializing this student shows a pro-stance on suicide, and they don't want the issue at the forefront of anyone's mind during graduation.

Personally, I think this is bullshit. If schools don't allow memorials and a vocal atmosphere about suicide, kids will not know that they have support networks. By allowing the memorial, they can help the student's friends to cope, help keep the memory alive for the family, and educate students that depression and suicide are serious and REAL matters. We can't just pretend stuff like this doesn't happen, and we shouldn't be posthumously punishing a student for having made the decision to take his/her life. That doesn't help anyone.

How would you feel if one of your classmates took his/her life and the school wanted to sweep it all under the rug? Is that justifiable? I'm actually wondering how people feel and if they have any evidence that allowing a memorial and discussion of the suicide would benefit everyone involved... or even evidence that it's a bad idea if you feel that way.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Suicide and schools - November 11th 2009, 04:50 AM

I think thats wrong, I think having the memorial page is sorta like a remembrance of what happened.. We had it in my grade 10 yearbook for my friend that committed suicide when he was in grade 10..

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Yale Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Yale Gerber

Re: Suicide and schools - November 11th 2009, 05:20 PM

That's just wrong. ... All I have to say on the matter.

Edit: Maybe start a petition? I dunno. Do something. Don't let it get pushed down.

Last edited by Yale; November 11th 2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: One more thing

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Suicide and schools - November 11th 2009, 06:30 PM

That's just wrong, at our school there was one or two memorial pages in the yearbook for all the students who died that year and even included a former student who died in the military. The students that would've graduated with the class were mentioned in the ceremony at the vary least and then the ceremony was dedicated to them in the ending credits.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Suicide and schools - November 11th 2009, 06:46 PM

That is awful. We have a proper memorial in our school for a student who died.
I would actually recommend a petition, it's only fair. They can't expect you to forget it and pretend it never happened. You have every right to put some form of memorial in the year book.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Cullen Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Suicide and schools - November 11th 2009, 08:13 PM

What would the school board decide if that person had been murdered? I bet they'd gladly give up loads more than one page for the student. This is bull, tbh.

The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows...
Keep The Blood In Your Head, And Keep Your Feet On The Ground.

Nov 29th 2010 <3

Do I Divide And Fall Apart?
My Bright's Too Slight To Hold Back All My Dark.
  Send a message via MSN to Cullen  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Suicide and schools - November 13th 2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullen View Post
What would the school board decide if that person had been murdered? I bet they'd gladly give up loads more than one page for the student. This is bull, tbh.
That's exactly my feeling, and in the end it shouldn't matter how the student died, it's still a sad situation that shouldn't be thrown aside.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Suicide and schools - November 13th 2009, 06:52 PM

Well I think he's mixing two different things here. To not want someone included as a class member when he didn't take part of the class, fair enough. But if the class wants to add an in momeriandum page, they should be able to - he's not being mentioned as a member of "grad class of '10", he's being mentioned as a person who was in the class previously.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Suicide and schools - November 16th 2009, 11:53 AM

I know my old school would have a full page, a memorial page, for anyone that was suppose to graduate in that class. There were ones that had died in grade 7 or below, and they still had pages. The only one who didn't was the one that died at the end of last year, since it was a month until graduation and yearbooks were probably already on their way, they were at least printed already.

I can see not wanting to call them part of the class, but they should do SOMETHING

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: Suicide and schools - November 16th 2009, 05:26 PM

We didn't have year books at our school because they were something that the students had to organise and produce and to be frank, no one could be bothered. If that's the case in every school - that it is up to the students - then I don't think it should matter what the head says. If the students want it, they should have it. It's their freakin' year book, not his.

Closed Thread