TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shayjaggers Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shayla

Feeling hopeless. - January 11th 2010, 03:27 AM

I've been struggling with depression my whole life, same as my brother and mother.
I take an anti-depressant called Pristiq, currently on a double dosage do to the time of year. (It gets worse in the winter)
Recently my girlfriends parents have banned us from seeing or speaking to each other. It seems like everytime I find a scrap of happiness, something happens to take it away.
I feel hopeless. My future seems dark and distant.
I've turned to cutting, but the physical pain only helps so much.
I've considered suicide. I know it's not right, but I really feel like it's my only escape.
Is there anything I can do to make the cup seem half-full instead of half-empty?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Feeling hopeless. - January 11th 2010, 03:59 AM

Shayla, never turn to suicideee.. and never consider the thought ever again. You're too valuable and special . Never in hell forget that fact.

Sometimes there are times in life which seemingly makes everything that is good or nice disappear.. but trust me, it is only a feeling. There are so many things you can do to make things better.. like maybe read one of those mushy books, or basically making new friends . I do think you have to talk to your parents and tell them how much you need those friends of yours right now, because the feeling of being able to share happy memories together, as well as smile together and do all those wonderful things simply has an effect that nothing else will have . Now is the time to do so.. you've went through enough and it's time for everything to start getting better.. and this method guarantees good things happening.

your parents have banned you from speaking to your friends.. and that means sometimes you gotta break the rules. maybe just do it in a way that is hidden *smirks * i dont know whether it's the right thing but i myself used to break the rules. And depression shared is depression halved .. so do not hesitate to tell your brother and family how much you're going through.. NO family will let their beloved daughter deal with so much emotional pain all on her own.. got it?

You can take anti-depressants.. but the real cure overcoming all the pain and replacing it with happiness.. and i am damn well sure at least i am ready and willing to help you do just that. Never give up we're all in this together. Just so you know , you can tell us anything, and everything you are going through and we as friends are de-freaking-nitely going damn listen.. cause we rock like that.

update me on how this goes.. i wanna hear things getting betterrrr!!

Those who have went through more pain than everyone else, and want to protect anyone and everyone they know and care for from that pain, are stronger than everyone.

we come, we help, we stick and never leave. pm me anytimeee!

Official member of the completely Unofficial free hugs Club !

I'm firing mah Hugs!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Shayjaggers Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Feeling hopeless. - January 11th 2010, 06:49 AM

Thank you for your advice...I don't consider suicide often but sometimes it really does seem the only option. I've been trying to be strong though, and my friends and family support me.
It's not my own parents that banned me from seeing my girlfriend. Her parents are the ones that are freaking out about our relationship. They've forbidden her from speaking to me or seeing me again, simply because we are both girls and that's not acceptable to them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Crescendo Offline
Walking The Line
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ...

Re: Feeling hopeless. - January 11th 2010, 10:06 AM

I'm sorry you're feeling so down right now- i can completely relate.

You may need more or a different medication. Many Mental illnesses like depression are treatable with medication, therapy, and lifestyle changes such as eating balanced meals and getting enough sleep. It is however very very hard to go it alone. Your life is valuable, and with treatment things CAN get better.

Ask yourself "If I was happy, how would life be different than it is now?" It may be hard to imagine if you've been in emotional pain for a long time, but try to write as much as you can about what your life would be like. Then try to pick out the things in your "happy" life that you actually have control over and can work towards. Something like winning the lottery isn't realistic, but there are probably going to be several things that you do have control over. Make them specific and realistic goals.

the only thing you can count on is change, so why don't you stick around? This too shall pass. Things get better, things get worse, but it won't be this way for ever. Don't be afraid to ask for help. your life is valuable.

You're NOT alone.

Megan

When the patient's body has betrayed them,
and all the sciencewe have to offer has failed them,
when worst-case scenario comes true,
clinging to hope is all we've got left.
-grey's.anatomy-

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Feeling hopeless. - January 11th 2010, 05:57 PM

Then maybe you'll just have to do it secretly you both make it work! and the fact remains that friendship is really important.. no matter what ,you both have to continue sharing and caring . alright?

It's great that your family and friends are helping.. and consider us in. We want to know that everything is getting better.. because you deserve the best.

Those who have went through more pain than everyone else, and want to protect anyone and everyone they know and care for from that pain, are stronger than everyone.

I'm firing mah Hugs!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: Feeling hopeless. - January 12th 2010, 07:43 PM

I hope I don't offend you by asking this question but why does your depression get worse in the winter ?

If you don't know then maybe there is something causing this depression that is not medical. And if so you can find it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Shayjaggers Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Feeling hopeless. - January 13th 2010, 04:30 AM

No, it doesn't offend me. My psychologist said it has something to do with there not being as much sunlight this time of year. Sunlight produces vitamin D or something like that that's good for depression.

On a second note, my girlfriend broke up with me today. She said it's best for me, that I should move on and be happy even though she still loves me and will always be thinking about me.
And my best friend is moving away at the end of the month.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: mystery :)

Re: Feeling hopeless. - January 14th 2010, 03:24 PM

that's a lot to deal with..

however, i'm sure that for every unfortunate event that happens.. i'm sure everything will be counteracted by good stuff happening which far supersedes the bad . stay strong, and do look out for good things happening .. which i'm sure they will.

remember that we're not going anywhere.. so you can tell us, anything, everything, anytime

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Supervisor Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chris

Re: Feeling hopeless. - January 22nd 2010, 12:56 AM

seek help for this situation

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: Feeling hopeless. - January 22nd 2010, 02:10 AM

Those 2 issues(friend moving away and girlfriend) only time can heal. Time and patience. For those all I can say is hold on and the pain will pass.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Shayjaggers Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Feeling hopeless. - January 25th 2010, 06:03 AM

Well things just took a huge turn for the worse.
Went job hunting yesterday, but my dad said it's pointless, because no-one will hire me with the way I look. (I'm not quite 5 feet, and 18 years old, but people always mistake me for much younger. Like 12)
My mom said that if me and my dad keep fighting we're going to make her kill herself.
My friend moved to her new house today.
And my girl will hardly talk to me anymore.

I'm going to stay with an ex girlfriend for a week, to try and clear my head and sort things out. But is there really anything I can do?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Feeling hopeless. - January 25th 2010, 08:30 AM

A lot of people understand that maturity and age go way beyond looks

You and your dad then have to come to and thus stop fighting.. which means that the both of you will have to stop your disagreements about some issues and reach a solution which is the best compromise for both of you. And besides that.. i think that subtle gestures to show that you and your dad still love each other will go a long way. alright?

And there's a lot you can do... for a while, just relax and take your mind off things.. but i agree that there's a lot of things you can do in your current situation that will definitely help. and you and your friends can definitely patch things up ... i believe that. And i trust that you and your friend can still keep in touch .. definitely do keep in touch.

Sometimes there are rocky moments in a relationship, but the fact remains that if it is an enduring and strong one.. eventually she will come back.

hold on to hope.. and never let go . i know everything will get better .

I'm firing mah Hugs!

Closed Thread