TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
chanelxo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Feeling left out... - January 25th 2010, 07:07 PM

So it seems ever since my older sister has been dating a rich man and might be pregnant my mom and whole family has been just talking about how happy they are for her,and her and the guy aren't even bf/gf.I have a big problem with it since my sister dropped out of school a year ago and never has had a job,me on the other hand starts college tomorrow and i've been looking for a job since sept but still looking for one.And i always talk about how i feel my sister just went with him for money etc and when i do my whole family says oh shut you're jealous of her,and they don't see my point i want to make my own money and i don't think i could ever go with someone for money it seems so heartless.But i just wish my family would be proud of me for trying to do the right thing.I really wanted to start college because my brother would always say it would be a good thing and i would be the first in my family to have a great job,but now he doesn't even care and i feel like i'm doing all this for nothing.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: mystery :)

Re: Feeling left out... - January 25th 2010, 07:47 PM

i respect your pure heart and i really think that your principles are what makes you a special person.. love is love to you . and you are really respectable because it makes you a human being with compassion.

You are definitely doing the right thing. Even though it MIGHT take your family a while to see that you are doing the right thing, eventually they'll come to their senses and see just how a wonderful person you really, truly are.As for your brother, there might be other matters bothering him and thus he might look like he does not care, but truthfully he may just be too preoccupied with things .

I understand that times are hard for you, but we are all always here in case you need to talk to someone or support. And

Repeat: you are NOT doing this for nothing.. i see you as a really special person and i respect you.

stay strong!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Feeling left out... - January 25th 2010, 07:56 PM

If it's what you truly want, then go for it, regardless of what people say. And if they don't care, it doesn't matter, because in the end it's all about you and your life. It doesn't seem like your family is very supportive and I know how horribly that hurts, but you have to keep working for what YOU want.

Have you ever tried talking to your parents about it? Maybe you could sit them down and say, "Hey, I want to know if you think I'm making the right decision here." I think you're making a very intellegent decision and I believe you'll do great things. Good luck!

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
chanelxo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Feeling left out... - January 25th 2010, 08:07 PM

Well thank you both so much,that makes me feel better knowing i don't come off as being a bad person for saying what i believe.As for my parents they split when i was 8 and so it's just my mom i always talk about it to her but she doesn't care what i do,she always says college is a waste of time and getting job that pays $3 an hour.But i don't think it is and i wish she would see that money isn't everything in life yes it can be helpful but from how my life's been since last year i can see it doesn't bring happiness.Her and my older sister have a closer bond together they always have been like best friends and not really mother and daughter.

And about my brother yes i do believe he is going threw alot with his own life,but anytime he comes over my mom and sister bring up what she did with her rich guy etc and thats all they talk about,not a word about me going to college for the first time and me trying to start a good career for myself it breaks my heart to know nothing matters in my family more then money,i try and not to say nothing just so things won't get into a argument.

Last edited by chanelxo; January 25th 2010 at 08:13 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Feeling left out... - January 25th 2010, 08:12 PM

College isn't a waste of time at all. It can score you the job of your dreams. I'm sorry your mom doesn't understand you, but it's really good that you understand yourself and what you want. Life isn't about money, I think it's about hapiness, and it seems like going to college would make you really proud of yourself, so I say just go for it.

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: mystery :)

Re: Feeling left out... - January 27th 2010, 05:24 PM

courtney just said something not even actual judges in court can dispute .

i think that happiness, definitely matters more. And besides that, at college there will be a lot of new experiences waiting for you too. I'm sure it'll work out alright. And eventually your parents are gonna see that no matter what happens, you are a wonderful person and you are strong enough to choose your own way.

alright?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Feeling left out... - January 28th 2010, 01:05 AM

Don't work to impress people, work to impress yourself. Still go to College, get yourself a great career. In the end, you will be successful and I'm sure they will be proud of you. Your sister is going through a serious thing, having a baby, and with a baby she won't be able to go to College or have much of a successful job but you will, and they will realize it. But like I said, don't work to impress them, do this for you, do it for your future. You will feel so accomplished and so good about yourself once it's all through with, and you will feel like you've achieved all you wanted to achieve. You will feel good about yourself, and just as long you believe in yourself and feel good about yourself, that's all that matters.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: Feeling left out... - January 30th 2010, 07:41 PM

Keep living your life. Don't let your family make you not like your life. And for your sister let her be. Unfortunately when love is not in the equation, things end up badly. So jst leave her be and continue living your life. Be happy for yourself and don't seek to get any approval from anyone. Just leave them be and be happy for yourself. And go on with college, it certainly will help.

Closed Thread