TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ilybabe! Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Depressed - February 8th 2010, 09:01 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've been kind of depressed lately. I feel like i'm slowly going to start losing the people close to me and i don't know why. I feel like i just wanna be done with life. And if i start losing all my close friends i feel like i have to do something to keep part of them close to me. The only thing i can think of is cutting there first name intials onto my body. Idk what to do as if i do something like that it hurts my friends. what do i do.

Last edited by Whisperer; February 8th 2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: marked as triggering

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Depressed - February 8th 2010, 11:04 PM

Hey there,
I know depression can be a hard thing to deal with especially when your friends start to leave you. Have you talked to anyone about the way you are feeling? Let them know you need someone to talk to. I know approaching a friend, family member, or teacher with how you are feeling can be tough but it's always worth it in the end. If you have more people on your side, fighting against the depression, it will start to get easier. I strongly advise you not cut their initials onto your body because it will not heal your relationship with them, it will simply harm you. Remember to use our alternatives sticky when you feel the urge to cut. I know you can do it. Believe in yourself because you will feel better.
Let me know if you need anything at all,
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Depressed - February 9th 2010, 04:15 AM

Whenever you feel depressed, you may have noticed you're somewhat overcome by negative thoughts. This alone is one of the most common effects depression has on an individual. It is certainly important to remain close to your friends, otherwise you risk becoming isolated from them and feeling alone, which could lead to a downward spiral if left unchecked. I know, I did it myself and didn't realise until I had overcome depression.
When you start to think negatively, or start to feel anxious, try to busy yourself by talking to someone, general chit-chat, or, even better, tell someone you feel uneasy and talk it over. They will likely offer you some reassurance and support, as long as you're very open and honest about how you feel.
It's not easy talking to someone, but it will help you whilst you're feeling like this. If you start to notice extended periods where you feel depressed or you start to question life with things like "what's the point in me living?", or something similar (I've thought the same thing many times, and I'm sure others on this site have as well), then it's time to get yourself help. By that I mean help from a mental health professional, I suggest trying counselling first, if the reasons as to why you're depressed run deeper than that, then a psychiatrist is the best person to talk to.

Try to replace positives with negatives, and think objectively about yourself (or, outside of yourself). If you wouldn't say what you're thinking about to someone else, stop being hard on yourself. When you think negatively it's often a little unrealistic/exaggerated because you're feeling so 'down', try to rationalise by thinking of when you did better than you think you're doing, and tell yourself you can do something. In a way, it's complimenting yourself and encouraging yourself. Self-talk is a great way to fight back against depression, but that alone won't get you through. It's important to maintain supportive relationships.

As for your SH urges, the alternatives are a good idea to at least try, as Alessa mentioned. You may also want to think about what your friends would ask/say if they saw their initials as scars on your body, it doesn't matter where they may be, think about their reaction.
A lot of people don't understand SH, as with abuse, violent crimes, etc, they tend to try and ignore it because they are afraid of confronting it. It's better to let them know you're struggling with how you're feeling and that you could really use their support right now, rather than letting them find out by accident, or from someone else. Any of your friends will be willing to support you, and they don't have to know that you SH, just knowing that you're feeling sad/going through a rough time will lead them to want to help.

I hope this helps.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

Last edited by CompassionateSoul; February 9th 2010 at 04:20 AM.

Closed Thread