TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
taylorr7239 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Taylor

Anyone else? - March 8th 2010, 11:44 AM

Depression is keeping me from making myself get up and go to school. I know I should be in school, but its like I just don't care anymore. I mean I'm in school everyday, I just usually miss my first two classes. And I don't really care. I used to be so afraid that mom would kill me for skipping classes, but now I just don't really even care. I don't care about anything. My grades are still good, but I just can't physically get myself there on time. I try to blame it on the fact that my school starts at 7:20 in the morning, but I previously had no problem with getting up early enough to go to school and now I just can't and even when I do I just lay in bed and think until I look at the clock again and realize how late I am. Its ridiculous.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Anyone else? - March 8th 2010, 08:00 PM

Absolutely, same here. I'm in college, have gone through 4 different majors, and really just don't give a fuck anymore. I used to be a straight-A student, 1490 on the SAT, and now I'm sitting with mostly B's and C's. It seems like my opinion on the matter switches between not caring and feeling overwhelmed, depending on the day.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Anyone else? - March 8th 2010, 08:05 PM

Hey there Taylor,

You're certainly not alone in this. I was in a very similar situation only recently. I can say that I've been in your situation and I have gotten through it - you can get through this too.

Depression does crush your motivation and willingness to get out of bed in the morning. I honestly think that one of the biggest challenges in life is getting out of bed in the morning! However, you yourself state that it's 'ridiculous' and you're beginning to get concerned about this, which shows that this does need to change. It is hard, but you need to force yourself out of bed in the morning, negative behaviour only reinforces any negative thoughts or feelings you may have and so you need to break that cycle.

No one can get you out of bed in the morning apart from you. Try doing little things, make sure you have a good bedtime routine, try to set your alarm earlier, try to have a drink before you get out of bed, that can help to wake you up. You aren't alone in this though and there are people who can advise you on this and help you with your lack of motivation and how you're feeling. If this is having such a negative impact on your life then you should try and talk to a counsellor or a therapist, it could really help.

Take care.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Anyone else? - March 8th 2010, 08:27 PM

Hi Taylor,

Unfortunately I do not have much advice to offer, simply because I am/was dealing with this problem this year as well. It's a hard thin to explain; it's if your depression keeps you from even thinking when you wake up in the morning. It drains all of your energy from you, and you simply don't even consider getting up in the morning sometimes.

I would suggest having a talk with your counselor, and perhaps the teachers whose classes you attend during the first few hours of school. Maybe you could get a doctors note excusing you from the tardies you've received?

I also agree with Stephanie's suggestions. Try rewarding yourself when you do end up getting up on time. Allow yourself to feel the satisfaction of following a routine and making the effort to get yourself up in the morning.

I know how hard it can be, but I know that it is possible. Just keep trying, you'll find a way to make this easier on yourself! I'm here to talk if you ever need to.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Anyone else? - March 8th 2010, 09:24 PM

Hey Taylor,

I know what you mean about the motivation - you aren't on your own. What kind of time have you been going to bed? Could you try going to sleep earlier and having a break from things before you go to bed - watch a bit of TV, have a hot chocolate - to relax before you sleep. That way perhaps it would be easier to get up in a morning.

Have the school picked up on this yet? Does anyone else know about how you are feeling? Sorry, lots of questions! If no one knows about it then I would suggest you talk to someone. It would be beneficial and could provide you with appropriate support within school and help you.

PM me if you need a chat anytime,
Take care.
Anna

Closed Thread