TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sydney... Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sydney

Question Antidepressant pills - March 15th 2010, 08:24 AM

Ok so I need some opinions. My doctor was talking to me about antidepressant pills and I'm really confused on what to do. He said it's my choice but I don't know a lot about these kind of pills. My doctor didn't tell me much about them. Can anyone tell me some stuff about antidepressants? I want to make the right choice, but I want to know more about the things before I just start taking them.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Antidepressant pills - March 15th 2010, 05:27 PM

I don't really know much about anti-depressants, but I was on them myself for three or four months, and I really liked them, despite annoying side effects like crazy appetite and cravings, sweating, rollercoaster libido and no orgasms.. However there is a danger that you can get addicted, especially if you're depressed beforehand ~ I was absolutely terrified of coming off them myself, although it's been a few weeks now and everything's good. (:
Peeeersonally I wouldn't advise going on AD's at thirteen. I don't really think it's a good idea to go on them during you teenage years...you're gonig through loads of adolescence and hormonal shit and I think you'll feel so much better if you've gotten though those problems without being on pills. Although it really is up to you, and your doctor. Have you talked to parents/friends about it?? If you can it might be a good idea to get their opinion. Or have you thought about your other options, like psychotherapy?? I considered antidepressants when I was sixteen, but what I really needed at the time was counselling, and it helped me in such a better way that I'm so glad it chose it over medication.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Antidepressant pills - March 15th 2010, 07:42 PM

Hey there Sydney,

It's great that you've been talking to your doctor about how you've been feeling and that you're talking about different treatments. It's really great that you're getting help and you should be very proud of yourself!

I honestly do think that antidepressants should perhaps be a last resort choice at the age of thirteen as they do have negative side effects and you do naturally have changes in mood when you're going through adolescence. I would suggest that you do try counselling and psychotherapy before antidepressants. Talking therapy is a long term benefit and, although it's difficult, can make you a lot happier in the long run.

If you do decide to take anti-depressants then it is important to keep in contact with your doctor very frequently as there can be negative effects to start off with (increased suicidal ideation, for example). They can help, but only to a certain extent. You may also have to try a few different types until you get something that works for you.

Take care.

Take care.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Re: Antidepressant pills - March 15th 2010, 09:17 PM

Hi Sydney
I'm currently on antidepressants, and were only put on them 3 weeks ago. I had very little idea about them before that.

It can be a while until people find antidepressants right for them. It's also a very long term thing to be on (my doctor suggested to me I'd have to be on them for at least 6 months and then see if they're still effective). Also, after you come off them, depending what the problems are, they might come back after a little while.

They take a while to kick in - it's usually at least 3 weeks until you start feeling positive results. There can be the usual side effects - like feeling sick, headaches and stuff, but that went away for me after a few days. The ones I'm on also treat for my anxiety, and they actually had a very negative effect on me at first, and increased my depression and worrying. It was a seriously difficult time, but I just stuck through it. The last week I've been feeling less unhappy, which has been nice, although I still have a lot of issues.

I do agree with Stephanie, though. Have you done any counseling, or spoken to anyone who is there solely to help you? I think talking to someone will be more beneficial, especially at 13. It is difficult, but it really is helpful.

I've found that, with my antidepressants, they do treat the symptoms sort of, but not at all the cause. I still have these issues that I know I need to fix.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope things work out.
If I can be any help, drop a comment or message, or anything
Take care.

Closed Thread