TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_soul Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

should I quit? - March 15th 2010, 05:48 PM

(I'm not really sure if this goes here, so sorry if it's in the wrong place)

I have been dancing since I was about 3 or 4 years old, at different school and doing different styles along the way. at the moment I normally attend 2 classes a week. One in ballet, and one in jazz. I used to really enjoy it, but now it's the opposite. I really hate it. I dread going each time. So, I am thinking about quitting and maybe taking up something else to replace it.
but then I think, what if I only feel this way because I am depressed? I don't want to give up just because of that because then it feels like I am giving in to the depression and letting it dictate what I do in my life.
But on the other hand, I don't enjoy it at all, and what's the point in carrying on with something if I don't like it. I only do dance for the fun of it but it's not fun any more, so surely it makes sense to quit?
I am so confused, I really don't know what to do. I am so scared that I will make the wrong decision and then regret it later. What should I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: should I quit? - March 15th 2010, 06:13 PM

Hey there,
Well it sounds like your interests have simply shifted. That happened to me as when I was younger I started with dance, then moved to gymnastics, then to karate, as my interests changed, I picked up different things. Depression usually causes loss of interest in things, but not just one thing. For instance, you would quit everything just so sit home in bed. I think it's perfectly fine for you to quit dance because as you said, they is no point in going if you don't like it. You just need to find something else that interests you and pick that up. Even if you make the wrong decision now, you can always change back. It's not a permanent decision. You can always switch between whatever sports and activities interest you most.
Good luck,
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: should I quit? - March 15th 2010, 07:08 PM

Hey There! I agree 100% with what Alessa said!

If you don't enjoy something, then try and find something you DO enjoy - don't carry on withactivity for old times sake. Sure, depression can often cause you to make rash decisions, but as has been said before, if you change your mind, take the dancing back up again :]

Whilst your suffering from depression, it's often hard to pick out what you dislike from the simple fact that you can't be bothered to do anything at all. Maybe think about whether there is another reason for you wanting to wuit dancing - do you like the teacher? Are the some people there you don't really like? If these are the real reason for you wanting to quit - then maybe move dance groups :]

I always think it's good to have something positive to focus on when fighting depression - so certainly don't quit dancing without another sport, or hobby in the line up, otherwise you could just slip into a lazy, depressed routine that won't help at all :]

I hope you find something that you enjoy doing. Maybe you could try Gymnastics like Alessa said?

Take Care, Claire

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: should I quit? - March 15th 2010, 08:43 PM

Hey there,

First of all, I just want to say well done for posting and I'm sorry that you're not feeling very good. I hope that things look up for you soon!

It is possible that you're only feeling this way about your dancing because you are depressed - it often makes you feel somewhat unable to enjoy activities that you once liked. I actually think that if this is the case then it would be a good idea to persist with your dancing. Negative behaviour reinforces negative thoughts, if you're not doing your dancing, what would you do instead? It's important to keep up with hobbies and to keep yourself preoccupied and distracted when you're feeling depressed. I think it's very important that if you do decide to give up this activity then you do pursue something else in place of dancing so that you're still filling up your time, perhaps with another sport instead.

Perhaps you could talk to your family and your dance teacher about how you're feeling and your concerns about giving up your dancing? This really is your decision.

Take care.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
jamesbrookman Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: should I quit? - March 18th 2010, 07:54 AM

hey if you don't enjoy something you are doing, then there is no point of doing it!

Closed Thread