TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

College has me down. - April 5th 2010, 09:13 PM

It's taken me months to pick a college and I finally told myself that my indecisiveness needed to stop. So I chose a school, paid the $400 registration deposit, and now... I don't even know. I chose the school that my family wanted me to go to. Now I'm seeing how bad of a decision that was. I don't know what's wrong with it, maybe just bad memories, but I absolutely hate the city that it's in. Actually, I hate the entire state that it's in. My home state. I want to get out, but I know how expensive that would be, and besides, I have no idea what I want to do with my life anyway. I didn't know how much the choice was affecting me until today when my mom asked, "Aren't you excited?" and I burst into tears. Now I just feel exponentially worse since my parents already paid the registration, and my sister's planning all these things to do since we'll be in the same city, and they were so happy when I told them it was my final decision. I feel like I don't know how to make decisions for myself anymore. Since I can't decide what I want, I let others decide for me. I have no idea what I want, but I know it isn't this.

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Saria Offline
Average Joe

Name: Saria

Re: College has me down. - April 5th 2010, 10:09 PM

Hey Courtney,
It may seem like you have made the wrong decision right now but you may come to terms with the idea and you may find yourself liking the choice and enjoying the college. As far wanting to leave the place you will have plenty of other opportunities to leave.

If you want to talk feel free to PM me

Take care,
Saria

"Feeling Change - Memories Don't"
"Enjoy the Moment and don't let it end"
"When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile."
"He comforts us when we are in trouble, so that we can share that same comfort with others in trouble." 2 Corinthians 1:4
PM me anytime
Tumblr
http://1000reasonstosmile.tumblr.com/

(#3 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: College has me down. - April 6th 2010, 07:53 PM

Hey Courtney,

I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling like this. I hate it when I am pushed into making decisions and when I face pressure from all sides, it can make it really hard.

This decision has been made now, but is it set in stone? Is there a way that you could change for example? If you can't, you can still move through this. It won't be for the rest of your life, yeah? You need to hold on to that, it won't be long. It may seem like that, but time will go quicker than you think.

Don't worry about bursting into tears, a lot more people than you think will be nervous/scared/upset about their choice and it will be the stress of it all as well. Try talking to your parents about it - I am sure they just want you to be happy.

Even if it can't be changed, try to make the most of it. You don't have to see them all the time and maybe you will enjoy hanging out with your sister. It may seem awful now but actually you may find you love it and that it makes it easier having them so close by.

What I would say is, give it a try and see how it goes. You never know, it may all work out.

PM me if you ever need a chat.
Take care.
Anna

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

Last edited by Beautiful Disaster; April 6th 2010 at 07:59 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: College has me down. - April 8th 2010, 10:47 PM

Courtney,
You should never allow yourself to be pressured into making a decision. When I was 16 I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life either. Not everyone knows what they want to do with their lives right away. So don't feel bad, what you are going through is normal. In the end you will eventually figure it out.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: College has me down. - April 8th 2010, 11:37 PM

Is the deposit nonrefundable? If it can be refunded, then ask for it back. You need to go where is going to make YOU happy. I made that mistake. I chose a college based on a relationship- BIGGEST mistake of my life. If it can't be refunded.. go for a semester and transfer to where YOU want to go to college. If you want to talk, to vent, feel free to PM me.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
Closed Thread