TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
arcane Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Guilt? - April 8th 2010, 09:47 AM

I was wondering if anyone else experiences guilt as part of their depression.

I find myself feeling guilty for many things that I know that I logically have no reason for which to feel guilty. I have lately felt especially guilty for thinking that my own problems are difficult when other people in the world have more serious issues than depression (i.e. hunger, homelessness, etc.). I know that I cannot help feeling that my issues are important since they affect my life more directly than the issues of others and since I cannot directly experience the issues of others. However, whenever I think about it, I feel extremely ashamed of myself. I feel guilty for not being happy despite having such luxuries around me that less fortunate people would be happy to have just a bit of for themselves. I feel guilty for not being able to perform my best in college when other people walk miles while braving danger just to attend school. I feel guilty for being alive when other people, who have greater potential than I, have died. I feel guilty for living and thus being a financial burden to my parents. I feel so much more guilt but now I feel guilty for writing this since I think I might be looking for pity or assurance when I should not be looking for either.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: Guilt? - April 10th 2010, 03:08 AM

Hello there. Let me tell you something, I am from Africa, and though I was privileged to have come here to the US. I have seen people who live in extreme poverty. And other people who face even more worse troubles. And I have felt bad for them. But I want you to read and read well :

what you are going through even though is not as bad as what other people are going through doesn't mean it is nothing. What you are going through, depression, is just a serious problem as some others and needs attention too. So please don't hurt yourself by feeling guilty, don't. Because you need help too, so don't feel guilty there is no reason to burden yourself with any more worries. You have enough to deal with, so don't worry. Stop feeling guilty, its ok .

Don't feel guilty for living and unless you steal or waste your parents' money then you are not a financial burden, and if you have then forgive yourself and begin to do good.
And also, don't feel guilty, you don't need any more pain. So stop feeling guilty and be a good person, help people out and live well.

I came here to help out, so if you wanna talk or just need someone to bounce ideas or issues off of or something else then send me a message and I will reply as soon as I can.

Last edited by Jacksonian; April 10th 2010 at 03:09 AM. Reason: correction

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hope55 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jazz

Re: Guilt? - April 10th 2010, 04:30 PM

I suffer with emmence guilt as well.

My guilt comes from the avoidable pain that I placed on my family when I made the decision not to live my life free from the religious lies that I feel they live in. Needless to say most of my family believes I am going to hell. I hear their pain in letters. Its the guilt that if I just wasnt so selfish they would live without that pain. My question is probably the same as yours. How can I live without this guilt?

Of course the option to go back to living a lie will counteract most of the guilt, but I cannot live as a hypocrate. I have contemplated many times going back but I know that there is no hope in that road, I will not survive there.

I think I have the same guilt in the way that I feel stupid for actually posting this, I feel like there are so many worse problems in the world, that I come across as complaining, that I should just get over everything.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Re: Guilt? - April 12th 2010, 08:50 AM

yep I have guilt too, I spoke to someone who gave me good advice though, she said that you need to look at the guilt and see if it is true guilt or not...true guilt is if you have actually done something wrong, because you can either fix it or apologise for it, false guilt is for stuff that is out of your control or irrational. the point is, if you have lots of false guilt then you don't need to worry about it. put it out of your mind and try to focus on getting yourself better. because you are not going to be able to help anyone else until you are feeling better.
Hope that helps....

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
Closed Thread