TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
letgoslowly Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Di

Question they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 11th 2010, 06:15 AM

do any of you have friends that think its funny to joke about suicide or cutting? I DO! I've got this friend that whenever something happens(that most people are just like "oh shoot.") she jokes and goes "ah! now i need to go kill or cut myself!". it pisses me off. because some of us actually have those issues. and she just jokes about it. ive told her before that it wasnt funny but she still does it. *sigh*. and one of the times was after we watched a slideshow on teen suicide! i mean COME ON! and another one of my friends, goes in total hissy fits over little things. she gets all pouty over the stupidest things. and some of us have REAL problems we need to worry about. hmph! do any of you guys have some friends like a couple of mine?

I'm burning out like a bright light, I wasn't ready for this. You're adorable as hell, but I'm glancing at your wrist.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 11th 2010, 06:25 AM

Ugh, I get what you mean!
I have those kind of friends too.
What I did was tell them to shut the fuck up about it, tell them that's serious shit, and if they don't comply, leave them. Go find yourself some better, more understanding friends. And make sure they get it, or else they'll keep on going and going.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
letgoslowly Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Di

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 11th 2010, 06:41 AM

the darkness,
thanks. im just worried that if i say even more about it they'll be like "what crawled up your ass and died?" . and i dont want them to know that i cut and have sucidial thoughts because i think that they'd figure out it had something to do with me /: but im gunna try and say more about it to her. so once again, thanks

I'm burning out like a bright light, I wasn't ready for this. You're adorable as hell, but I'm glancing at your wrist.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 11th 2010, 06:49 AM

well you don't have to show that you take it that deep.
most people would just think, oh they think seriously about it, maybe I should shut up.
unless they're the kind of people to assume...
if they start blabbering all sort of shit without proof (say they go telling everyone that your suicidal/you cut) then tell them to shut the fuck up, that it's none of your business and get some support from others.
All the people who do that kind of shit are stupid and ignorant, so just ignore them and they'll start to fade away, hopefully.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 11th 2010, 11:58 PM

I've had a friend do that. Stupid shit would go wrong, and she'd whine about it and say stupid things like "Ugh, I just wanna DIE!" and things like that. OH NO, you broke up with a guy you dated for a couple months, YOUR LIFE IS OVERRRR. Whaaa. **rolls eyes**

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Spellbound Offline
LGRW
I can't get enough

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 12th 2010, 12:06 AM

I knew some people that did that. It really gets to me because it's not a joke, it's something serious and should not be laughed about.
I stopped talking to those type of people, I don't like when someone stereotypes depression and self harm when they don't even know what the issue is really like. For example, "She must cut herself because of the music she listens to or the clothes that she wears!" They make it sound like cutting is a trend or something! Ugh.
Honestly. It's not a joke. Never had me laughing about it.

Send a message via MSN to Spellbound  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 12th 2010, 12:35 AM

Yes. I slagged her off in a thread on here as well. Named bottled up.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
fresco Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 12th 2010, 02:06 AM

Yeah I'm sure every person has heard that kind of insensitive comment before. A lot of people are pretty free with what they say. Most of them dont really have experience with cutting or suicide so they can totally shrug it off. But to someone who's experienced it or knows someone who has, it's soo much more different. It's something you watch out for. There are some things you just dont joke about. Some people didn't get the memo.

I know a girl who jokes around like that..."Today sucks; I'ma cut myself with this paper"...then she wears a TWLOHA t-shirt?? Haha so hypocritical. You don't take it seriously but then you support a movement that is all about recovery?

It's hard to ever say something bold that's directed at something someone's said. Even if it's not something you actually have experienced, you dont want anyone else to think that you have. It's hard not to give yourself away but you should be casual about it. Don't be afraid to be righteous. "Cutting is actually a really serious problem. On the news a couple of days ago... ___. You should be careful who you say that around." I mean, it might make people uncomfortable but you have to assert yourself. If your friends are saying something insensitive or that makes you uncomfortable, set them straight! They should be fine with it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 12th 2010, 08:35 AM

Yeah I have friends like that, they tend to do it without thinking and now that they know about my issues most of them apologise as soon as they realise. As for the everyday issues being blown out of proportion, I also have friends like this, but I can't bring myself to tell them that I have bigger things to worry about and that its not the end of the world because to them, it is a big problem. *sigh* it really irritates me when people are like this.

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 13th 2010, 11:42 AM

I have friends like that too, one actually said anyone who cuts needs to be put in an asylum. While she was wearing a TWLOHA shirt. I've had teachers do it too. Usually I just roll my eyes or politely tell them it isn't funny. When they ask, because they do, I'll tell them I had a best friend that cut (which is true). It shuts them up pretty fast.

As for the one that gets all "pouty" about little stuff, maybe to her that stuff is big, especially if she hasn't had to deal with bigger stuff.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#11 (permalink)) Old
enjoydivision Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 13th 2010, 12:18 PM

Yes, I do. It's quite annoying and the close friends I have don't do it because they know about my struggles and all, so I try not to let other people bother me. That's all one can really do, unfortunately.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 13th 2010, 06:32 PM

Hey there,

You are certainly not alone!
Unfortunately, there are some people who do not understand self harm or suicide related issues and who, instead, mock or are immature regarding the subjects. It does infuriate me when people complain about being 'depressed' or that they could 'cut themselves' as overexaggerations, it seems to make the real issues a joke, which is not right. It is okay to talk to these people and tell them it's not funny, otherwise, the best thing to do is to try and dismiss or ignore their comments, even though it may be hard.

Take care.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 16th 2010, 04:37 PM

This is going to sound selfish but I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone on this [NOT to sound selfish :/]

My friends do it all the time - 'I'm going to kill myself if I don't get a seat!', 'I will die if we don't get our marks back today'. Situations like these usually result in my fusing into the background because I feel awkward about the genuinely suicidal thoughts in my own head. I guess we have to accept that not everyone is going to understand these feelings and emotions. There are always people who are going to jerk around and make a joke out of it. We just have to learn to ignore them, or maybe lecture them out of their minds. Although that may be a little harsh... mhm.

I don't know. It makes it hard to trust the people around you though, especially if they're going to be making a joke out of serious issues like that :/

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

Last edited by Lotus Eater; April 16th 2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: typo.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
rescue is possible. ♥
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Allison

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 21st 2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☣ ArcAngel ☣ View Post
I've had a friend do that. Stupid shit would go wrong, and she'd whine about it and say stupid things like "Ugh, I just wanna DIE!" and things like that. OH NO, you broke up with a guy you dated for a couple months, YOUR LIFE IS OVERRRR. Whaaa. **rolls eyes**
I have so-called "friends" like that. She was like "OMG. THAT GUY DIDN'T LOOK AT ME TODAY! I JUST WANT TO GO AND KILL MYSELF!" Then go a fucking head, but she's never serious about it. Next day she's all giggly and happy because she has a "new boy." It's fucking insane how obsessed she is.

This one guy in my ceramics class said that people cut because they're just looking for attention. I almost screamed at him, considering I almost cut myself a few times recently.

If you truly believe in what you do nobody can stop you.
-Trace Cyrus
  Send a message via AIM to youareunstoppable Send a message via MSN to youareunstoppable  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 21st 2010, 12:46 AM

People in my German class (freshman or sophomore year, can't remember which) started joking around about one of my best friends being emo cause she dressed like the stereotype, i.e. in all black with a hoodie with headphones and all. She said to everyone "if you want to call anyone 'emo' it'd be emily" meaning I'd be emo cause of my suicidalness/cutting. I was pissed.

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 21st 2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youareunstoppable View Post
I have so-called "friends" like that. She was like "OMG. THAT GUY DIDN'T LOOK AT ME TODAY! I JUST WANT TO GO AND KILL MYSELF!" Then go a fucking head, but she's never serious about it. Next day she's all giggly and happy because she has a "new boy." It's fucking insane how obsessed she is.

This one guy in my ceramics class said that people cut because they're just looking for attention. I almost screamed at him, considering I almost cut myself a few times recently.
Yeah, girls can be ridiculous like that. And that guy is part-right. I've seen people give themselves scrapes for attention. But theres also people who genuinely struggle with self-harm.

I knew a guy in high school who was a wannabe Goth. He would also give himself cuts on his arms, where it was in plain sight, and either wear t-shirts, or if he wore his fishnet shirt, he'd lift the fishnet and show people his cuts. Same guy also stapled a piece of paper to his chest for $20. Almost every move this guy made was a ploy for attention. Even playing his crappy rendition of "Crazy Train" (basically playing the same chords repeatedly, the intro part) in the hallway, trying to look "cool".

But, the fellow you mentioned is wrong about people who self-harm in general looking for attention. Some people are, but there are plenty who aren't as well.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
rescue is possible. ♥
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 21st 2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☣ ArcAngel ☣ View Post
Yeah, girls can be ridiculous like that. And that guy is part-right. I've seen people give themselves scrapes for attention. But theres also people who genuinely struggle with self-harm.

I knew a guy in high school who was a wannabe Goth. He would also give himself cuts on his arms, where it was in plain sight, and either wear t-shirts, or if he wore his fishnet shirt, he'd lift the fishnet and show people his cuts. Same guy also stapled a piece of paper to his chest for $20. Almost every move this guy made was a ploy for attention. Even playing his crappy rendition of "Crazy Train" (basically playing the same chords repeatedly, the intro part) in the hallway, trying to look "cool".

But, the fellow you mentioned is wrong about people who self-harm in general looking for attention. Some people are, but there are plenty who aren't as well.
Yeah, I know that some people do that. But honestly, if I cut myself, I wouldn't do it in a place where people could see it. Those are obviously the fake ones. My friend cuts on her feet so no one can see it because she's always wearing socks.

-Trace Cyrus
  Send a message via AIM to youareunstoppable Send a message via MSN to youareunstoppable  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 21st 2010, 07:13 AM

Some of my friends are like that. It really annoys me, because even some of the ones who know I cut myself make jokes that like. They don't even realise how serious these issues are. Even the ones who say they do (note: this is just in my experience, at my school), and participate in TWLOHA day and everything, don't seem to take them seriously. It's more a fashion statement than anything.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
rescue is possible. ♥
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 22nd 2010, 01:32 AM

As you guys know, today is TWLOHA, as mentioned before. That same girl I mentioned had "love" on her arm and she looked at mine and was like, "OMG ALLISON! YOU'RE DOING IT, TOO?" and I had "TWLOHA" on my hand. She was like, "Wait, what does TWLOHA even mean?" Are you fucking serious? How can you ~support it yet not even know what it means and what it stands for? I didn't want to explain so I ignored her.
A few minutes later she looked at my "DareYouToMove" on my arm. She questioned it and I said it was one of Switchfoot's songs that means a lot to me. She was like "OH!!!" as if she actually knew what the hell I was talking about. :/

-Trace Cyrus
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: they think its funny(well this is me laughing) - April 22nd 2010, 01:47 AM

I had a friend like that once, and I started to lose complete respect for them after they started joking about cutting. I have to be honest, though, that I'm not completely innocent myself. I used to joke about cutting sometimes, following in other people's footsteps. But then I struggled with it myself for awhile there, and I realized that it's something that should never be joked about. A lot of people don't understand it, so I try not to be too judgmental if they make jokes. I think the best way to go about putting an end to the jokes is by letting your friends know that it's extremely disrespectful, and by trying to educate them a little bit more on how serious cutting and suicide both are. People don't always understand, but I think we always have the power to help them to a bit more.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

Closed Thread