TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Imaginary Offline
Average Joe

My mom has depression. How can I help? - April 24th 2010, 04:54 PM

As the title says, my mom has depression. I don't know what to do. I suffer from depression myself, I am in therapy, on meds and while those help a lot, I still can't find the strength to leave my room or eat. My step-dad is a selfish asshole; whenever she says how upset she is, he says "why is it always about you?", despite the fact that she's the only one working and still manages to do more than half the house hold chores.

I really admire her, I really do. I love her more than anything, but the tiniest things stress me out. Someone asking me if I'm hungry will cause me to descend into a seven year old's voice and attitude and I have to go be alone for a couple hours. I've tried helping around the house, but it scares me. I really want to help her, but how can I? I don't want her to kill herself; after all, there is only so much one can take, no matter how much they love the people on earth.

Please please comment. Any help would be appreciated.

myspace.com/lonesome_fish for poetry. I like feedback sometimes. And I like smiley faces .

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: My mom has depression. How can I help? - April 24th 2010, 05:38 PM

Hey there,

I think that it's absolutely wonderful that you're looking out for your mother and that you're wanting to help her with her depression. That's really great of you.
I think that because you suffer from depression yourself, perhaps you already have the insight of what your mother is going through, which should help you understand. It also, unfortunately, does mean that you may find it more difficult to help her. That's okay though, as long as you are trying.
Simply being there, attempting to help the best you can and telling your mother that she is loved and that you're willing to help her will be such a huge support to her, I am sure. Perhaps you could ask her if there's anything you could specifically do for her that may help?
You could also consider trying to start something new that you and your mother could do together, such as a new hobby, which could help you bond throughout recovery.

Take care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
theshyone Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Liz :)

Re: My mom has depression. How can I help? - April 24th 2010, 06:20 PM

The best thing you can do for her is let her know you care. Be a listening ear when she needs it, encourage her to do right things. Also don't point out the bad, point out the positive and maybe you suggest her to go see a counselor. But the best thing you can do is listen and encourage her to do what is right.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Imaginary Offline
Average Joe

Re: My mom has depression. How can I help? - April 24th 2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks, but my mom really doesn't like spending time with me. It's not that she doesn't love me; somewhere deep down under all the crap, I know she does, and so does she. But she is just so messed up from her horrible childhood that I don't think she can express it, and being around me seems to remind her of that.

Whenever I try to be a listening ear, it always turns into what I'm not doing, and I really can't take the pressure. I think therapy would really benefit her, but I don't know how to suggest it, and how to make sure she doesn't just waltz off all angry.

Thank you for all your help. It made me feel better, like I wasn't being a completely horrible child.

myspace.com/lonesome_fish for poetry. I like feedback sometimes. And I like smiley faces .

(#5 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: My mom has depression. How can I help? - April 24th 2010, 07:02 PM

Hiya

Im really sorry about whats going on. The best thing you can do is be there for her, and let her know that. You both love each other and it wouldnt hurt to tell each other that.
Try spending time with each other, even if it something simple like playing scrabble or a card game.

If you are both suffering from depression, why dont you do family counselling?.....you can bring it up when you are both calm, or write in a letter how you feel and what you would like.....

....I really hope things turn out.........remember it takes time, and dont rush, just let nature take its course.

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lu82 Offline
HI EVERYONE!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: My mom has depression. How can I help? - April 25th 2010, 01:04 AM

I toally understand how youre feeling i went through the same thing with my mother, all i can tell you is to be there for her all the time make sure you tell her that you care a lot for her. Has she seen a doctor?

Guenhwyvar roared a fourth time and darted off through the grove, a black arrow aimed at the heart of doom.

Closed Thread