TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lu82 Offline
HI EVERYONE!
Experienced TeenHelper

Question Whats the difference between bipolar and depression? - April 28th 2010, 03:26 AM

I dont know if i can post this here if not im sorry
But i want to know whats the difference between bipolar and Depression?
I once met sombody and she told me to get tested for bipolar. I know 100% that what i have is Depression because i constantly feel sad and my mood changes everyday i can be happy then sad and angry at myself, and then i have that stinking feeling of loneliness everyday and the suicidal thoughts.

Guenhwyvar roared a fourth time and darted off through the grove, a black arrow aimed at the heart of doom.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Whats the difference between bipolar and depression? - April 28th 2010, 03:37 AM

Well Depression is usually relatively persistent in being, well, depressed. Whereas Bipolar has the mood swings, and Mania/Hypomania. Thats the one thing people seem to miss out on when they talk about Bipolar, is the fact Mania/Hypomania is pretty much crucial to the diagnosis.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Whats the difference between bipolar and depression? - April 28th 2010, 05:34 AM

Pretty much bipolor is when people go from happy to sad like overnight. There is bipolar 1 where the mood swings are excessive and change dramatically. Like, my mom has bipolar, she used to go through periods where she would not sleep for a week and then she would go through periods where she would sleep for a week.

Bipolar 2 is the less dramatic kind and a lot of times it is harder for doctors to actually diagnose a person with it because of the fact that the person might not have a stable period of ups and downs. For example, I have bipolar 2, my mood swings are there and I do go through manic episodes but they usually are not as dramatic as my moms. Like I can sleep but I can't sleep till 2 or 3 in the morning. And the times that I am 'manic' I am not running around shopping or cleaning (like my mom would) I am sitting on the couch or am at my computer but I have this 'jittery' feeling and I cannot stay still, I have to change places on the couch, get up and walk into my room or walk into the kitchen. I just have these feelings of restlessness and excessive energy.

Depression on the other hand usually does not have these 'manic' episodes. Instead the person is, usually, in a perpetual state of sadness.

And, there is no way to get 'tested' for bipolar or depression. Basically you tell a doctor your symptoms and from there they make a well educated decision about what they think you might have. That is, essentially, why a persons diagnoses is subject to change.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prof.Engrish Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Whats the difference between bipolar and depression? - April 28th 2010, 06:34 AM

Depression is the act of feeling sad.
Bi-Polor is a type of depression.
There are many types of depression out there, and one of them is depression

Bi-Polor in an easy to understand definition, is someone who is generally sad. but at the same time experiences extreme mood swings and cant make up there minds.

One of my ex's i think was bi-polor. One day she loved me and the next she wanted me out of her life and didnt like me at all

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me!
  Send a message via AIM to Prof.Engrish  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Whats the difference between bipolar and depression? - April 28th 2010, 11:28 AM

Hey there,

Depression and Bipolar are different mood disorders. If you feel as though you could have either, then you should perhaps talk to a medical professional about how you're feeling.

Bipolar consists of depression but the person will also have 'manic' or 'hypomanic' episodes, in which they may have elated moods and may indulge in risky behaviours. It also often means that you feel as though you have a lot more energy and may have less need for sleep. Your productivity may also be affected.

Depression has no manic episodes, but makes the person feel sad, perhaps tired and tearful. They may also have thoughts of harming themselves.

Take care.

Closed Thread