TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
starwars Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

What does it take? - May 4th 2010, 09:04 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

What does it take to get a tiny bit of respect in this world? (From your friends, family, boyfriend/girlfriend, citizens etc.)

At this moment I feel like respect doesn't even exist. No one can appreciate the little things or the big things. I go out of my way to do things for others and not a single person has thanked me in the past few months. I feel like I am treated a hell of a lot different then others. I am a female and I hold open the door for others... then they pass me and either a. don't look me in the eyes or b. glance at me and keep walking. I mean what the hell happened to this world.

It makes me sick. I don't get it!

Life has changed around me. Everything and everyone has changed into these people that I never wanted them to be. I feel invincible. This all makes me feel like I am worth nothing more then the gum on the sidewalk. Regardless of if people say I shouldn't feel this way blah blah blah, it doesn't change the fact that other people are still the same.

I don't know what to do...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: What does it take? - May 4th 2010, 09:11 PM

I think the quote “Do the right thing, even when no one is looking” would be really great right now. You shouldn’t do the right thing to get respect or to get a thank you; you should do it because it is the right thing to do. If you are expecting something in return, or are disappointed that you don’t ever get anything in return, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

I think the first challenge you are going to have to tackle is respecting yourself for who you are and what you do. Excepting other people to respect you when you seem to have a difficultly doing that on your own, is not fair to everyone else. You can’t rely on them to do that for you, you need to learn to do it yourself. And unfortunately learning to respect yourself, your opinions, and your beliefs is not something that just happens over night, nor can you read a book and figure out the solution. It comes with time, it comes with confidence in yourself and self esteem. Next time you do the right thing just think to yourself that you know you did what was right and that you made the world a little better of a place. Because even if no one else noticed, you did and that is worth something.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Freakshow Offline
Average Joe

Re: What does it take? - May 4th 2010, 09:13 PM

If people aren't going to be polite and respectful to you in return, then they don't deserve your politeness or respect. Seriously. Some people just find pleasure in making others feel bad, and the best thing you can do is to ignore them completely. They're not worth a single second of your time. I'm not saying you should stop helping people entirely; rather, don't let the rudeness of some of them get to you. Keep your chin up and you're bound to run into a really nice person one way or another

(#4 (permalink)) Old
starwars Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What does it take? - May 4th 2010, 09:18 PM

It's not me looking for respect, I do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. I don't look for respect, it just blows my mind that everyone is so rude lately. I don't respect myself because I don't see anything to respect/like about myself.

I just don't see why things have suddenly changed. It's incredible to look around and thinking to yourself 'what is the point in trying?'

Last edited by starwars; May 4th 2010 at 09:27 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
wateroakgirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What does it take? - May 4th 2010, 10:20 PM

I think that even though it may seem like no one is appreciating what you are doing, you are still doing the right/polite thing to do... I would keep doing what you are doing, people can be very rude sometimes but there are people out there who will recognize and appreciate how nice you are being... even if not everyone is, or no one is at the moment, i'm sure that people will come around...

Closed Thread