TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
RockrGrrl Offline
Not a n00b

Bi-polar like? - May 9th 2010, 06:30 AM

I have these outbursts and I've had them pretty much since puberty, a little bit before. It's almost like bi-polar without the super up and happy part.

I have this bad feeling randomly come on and it's like I NEED to be sad. For no particular reason. So something small will happen and I'll turn it into this big deal and I just cry like crazy. It gets so bad that I usually get thoughts of suicide, and I just cry and there's nothing anyone can do to cheer me up. It can last anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or two.

But after I've worn myself out and I can't cry any more, I'm completely fine. I have no desire to kill myself and I realize that what I cried about was dumb.

It's so uncontrollable it's almost like a panic attack. I'll even hypervenilate and get twitchy sometimes.

Any suggestions on how to control this? Or anyone know how to really label it?

btw my dad has bi-polar, depression, and social anxiety disorder. He's also an alchoholic and addicted to nicotine (and diet coke lol)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Deadmau5 Offline
Forsake Your Own Reason
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jay

Re: Bi-polar like? - May 9th 2010, 04:28 PM

I'm sorry this has been happening to you, and I can relate pretty closely actually.

Of course I'm not a doctor, but it's worth checking out if you feel that strongly about it. There's probably a lot of social anxiety involved, and the possibility of being bi-polar. Although some people would even consider it just being a teenager and it'll wear off as you get older and get more control of your emotions, hormones etc. But, once again, I'm not a professional.

I feel that if you have some real concerns, go and see a doctor about it. The sooner you learn what's bothering you and why this is happening the better. The most important thing is that you're happy, and you should definitely be going out of your way to achieve that.

Good luck though! I hope you get to the bottom of these feelings soon.

This record broke on its own.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Bi-polar like? - May 9th 2010, 08:05 PM

It doesn't sound like Bipolar to me, mainly because of the fact that Mania/Hypomania (AKA the ridiculous amounts of happiness) is pretty much essential for a Bipolar diagnosis. However, Depression can even fluxuate between Sadness and Anger and a Normal mood as well. Could be something else though. But Bipolar is VERY unlikely.

As Deadmau5 said, if you're concerned, perhaps go see a doctor. And it CAN even easily be hormones as well.

However, somebody is either lying to you, or you're misinterpreting something. It's impossible to have Bipolar and Depression. You can only have one or the other, because putting the two together contradicts.

Anyways, a professional would definitely be able to diagnose you if there is anything wrong though.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
rescue is possible. ♥
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Allison

Re: Bi-polar like? - May 11th 2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☣ ArcAngel ☣ View Post
It's impossible to have Bipolar and Depression. You can only have one or the other, because putting the two together contradicts.
My dad is 54 and he had both when he attempted to commit suicide. He said that it was a mixture of both that made him attempt. But he also said that Bipolar is also known as Maniac Depression, so it would make sense that it kind of goes together.

If you truly believe in what you do nobody can stop you.
-Trace Cyrus
  Send a message via AIM to youareunstoppable Send a message via MSN to youareunstoppable  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Bi-polar like? - May 11th 2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youareunstoppable View Post
My dad is 54 and he had both when he attempted to commit suicide. He said that it was a mixture of both that made him attempt. But he also said that Bipolar is also known as Maniac Depression, so it would make sense that it kind of goes together.
No, MANIC Depression and regular depression, aka "Major Depressive Disorder" contradict.

WHY, you ask? Because Manic Depression means you fluxuate between Depression and Mania. Normal Depression, you DON'T fluxuate into Mania. Mania = Ridiculously Happy, to be very basic about it.

So, either your dad was WRONG, since you have to have MANIA to have MANIC DEPRESSION, or you're lying. Which is it?

Closed Thread