TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Buffie-92 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bridget

Unhappy no one "believes" me - May 13th 2010, 10:58 PM

so for the past few years I have been struggling with depression, self-injury, and, more recently, bulimia. I have been to therapy and psychiatrists and even in a hospital and on meds, but I haven't really gotten any better.
the thing is, no one understands or believes that I could be this way. I don't have a traumatic past, nothing significantly horrible has ever happened to me. I just hate myself and I always have and I don't know why. people say that to get rid of your problems, you have to know what caused them but believe me NOTHING caused this! I don't understand! I don't know what to do anymore????

but these are days we dream about
when the sunlight paints us gold
and this apartment could not be prettier
as we danced up there alone..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Toz

Re: no one "believes" me - May 14th 2010, 06:34 AM

You can go to all the therapists and psychiatrists you want, but until YOU want to feel better, you won't. Are you proactive towards that?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: no one "believes" me - May 14th 2010, 09:27 AM

I think understanding what caused these problems would definitely help you to go about resolving them. You need to understand that it doesn't need to be trauma that causes issues like this. You don't need to come from an abusive family or have been in a terrible accident or anything like that. Normal, everyday things can cause these problems too. For example, if you have all these blonde, skinny friends, whilst you have red, curly hair and have a more solid frame, you are likely to feel like an outcast and it might lead to body-image problems. There will be something in your life, or several things, that have caused these problems, it just might take some time to work out what they are.

I would recommend getting a steady counsellor or therapist who you can see every week, rather than changing all the time like some people do. If you just go every week and talk about your current problems and come up with solutions, I think that eventually the cause of them might emerge. But it would be good for you to tell them that you want to work out the cause of your problems, they would be able to come up with suitable strategies for you then. It might also help to keep a diary of your feelings and what happens in your life. So over time, you might see a pattern emerge, like "I feel really bad on days when I do this..."

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: no one "believes" me - May 15th 2010, 02:43 AM

Hey,
Although often times there are things that make things like depression come on, there are also times when they just come on themselves. For example, depression can be caused by an inbalance of chemicals in the brain. So even though to everyone else you may have a fine life, if you can only tell yourself you hate your life and yourself, you are going to keep feeling depressed. If you try to look through the eyes of others and see how beautiful you are and how you have so many strengths and talents, you can learn to see the positive in things. If you are always expecting the negative, you will always find the negative. But if you start to expect more positive things, those will be what you notice first. Changing your thought pattern can be very hard but if you set you're mind to it and keep on practicing you'll feel much better!
Let me know if you need anything,
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

Closed Thread