TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rriot132 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Meera

my self esteem sucks like crap - June 7th 2010, 09:35 AM

So I guess it starts when my friends all compliment each other and they completely ignore me. Including the guys.
Once I remember during our valentines day social, it was the first time I was wearing a dress and I had gone to the salon to curl my hair and I put on makeup that I spent an hour on and I went with my best friend to the venue and once we got there, everybody was going over to my best friend and saying "OH wow! you look so pretty" "OMG I love your dress" "Your hair looks great!" and all that. And one of my guy friends ran up to her, literally pushed me out the way (no joke) and hugged her. He didnt even notice me. I felt soo bad. I couldnt even describe how bad I felt.
And today on Yahoo Answers, I had posted a question and I had put a photo of myself as a resource (the question was if i wore too much makeup, hehe) and this one person said "It's nothing that a dark tinted plastic bag can't fix."
I deleted the question but I cant get that out of my mind now.
Whenever somebody does compliment me, I keep thinking their just saying that to make me feel better or pity me or whatever.
So I guess what Im trying to say here is that, what do I do to make my self esteem better?

мєєяαα. ♥
εvεryτhing ι do fεεls lικε ιτs wrοng...~
http://gonerogueforever.tumblr.com/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: my self esteem sucks like crap - June 7th 2010, 01:16 PM

Hey Meera!
I'm sorry to hear you've had such a hard time with your self esteem. But you know what? I would've complimented you on your dress and your hair and NOT just to make you feel better. Ignore the jerks on yahoo answers, they have nothing better to do then make fun of people. Let it go in one ear and out the other. You deserve better. I don't know you very well but I can confidently say you are a hell of a lot better than that guy. To help my self esteem, I come up with a list of all the great things about myself! Everytime I think of something new, I add it to my list! Then, when I'm feeling upset, I look at the list and realize there are so many positive qualities about me and they outweigh the negative. Plus, it's all about what's inside, looks don't mean anything! Be confident with who you are as a person and you don't have to change that to meet anyone's expectations. You are an amazing, caring, nice person and have fantastic taste in picking avatars! Keep your head held high and believe in yourself. Because it's your opinion that counts! I's always here to talk.
Stay strong,
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: my self esteem sucks like crap - June 7th 2010, 01:18 PM

Don't use wide-open internet spaces to get opinions on your look. There are alot of Internet Trolls on Yahoo! Answers trying to hurt people like you.

I bet you're a beautiful person. Your friends may even see it, no matter what you're wearing. Could easily explain why they don't compliment you. Hell, they may even think you hear it all the time.

Either way, don't let intentionally hurtful words from the internet get to you, or else you let the trolls win. And you know who internet trolls are? The obese, pimply kids who still play with Pokemon cards, and have to compensate for the fact they're mega-losers by trying to drag others down.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#4 (permalink)) Old
rriot132 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Meera

Re: my self esteem sucks like crap - June 7th 2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☣ ArcAngel ☣ View Post
Don't use wide-open internet spaces to get opinions on your look. There are alot of Internet Trolls on Yahoo! Answers trying to hurt people like you.

I bet you're a beautiful person. Your friends may even see it, no matter what you're wearing. Could easily explain why they don't compliment you. Hell, they may even think you hear it all the time.

Either way, don't let intentionally hurtful words from the internet get to you, or else you let the trolls win. And you know who internet trolls are? The obese, pimply kids who still play with Pokemon cards, and have to compensate for the fact they're mega-losers by trying to drag others down.

i still play with pokemon cards.... HAHAH joking. well i still do but that sentence:The obese, pimply kids who still play with Pokemon cards you said was funny. haha i was laughing like a mad person when i saw that thanks so much for the advice

мєєяαα. ♥
εvεryτhing ι do fεεls lικε ιτs wrοng...~
http://gonerogueforever.tumblr.com/

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: my self esteem sucks like crap - June 7th 2010, 01:37 PM

Um... I play cards (not pokemon but something similar) and I'm not obese or pimply and I definitely don't drag people down online. Just pointing out not to judge people based on their hobbies, though I agree with the point made.

Sadly, the internet is definitely full of trolls, the ability to be anonymous tends to bring the worst out in some people. =/ Take absolutely no notice of it. You sound like a nice person and I bet you look great, so be proud of yourself and don't let others get you down. It sounds like you've run into rather a lot rude people so far, but one day you'll find nice people who genuinely compliment you because they appreciate you.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: my self esteem sucks like crap - June 7th 2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSeph View Post
Um... I play cards (not pokemon but something similar) and I'm not obese or pimply and I definitely don't drag people down online. Just pointing out not to judge people based on their hobbies, though I agree with the point made.
Hahaha, but trolls are seriously ALWAYS obsessed with Pokemon. And they're like, in their 20's or 30's. Its kind of creepy. They go on about "OMGROFLCOPTERMUDKIPZGUYZ!!!11!!". It's kind of scary when you're using Pokemon as some sort of internet meme when you SHOULD be out with friends, or working, or doing something productive.

The point still stands, those who belittle others for entertainment are obviously compensating for something (maybe they come up a bit short in the pants? ), so letting them get to you is giving them a cyber penile extension!

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#7 (permalink)) Old
lifeguard tom Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Thomas

Re: my self esteem sucks like crap - June 12th 2010, 06:57 PM

stop over thinking pretty pretty girl

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Poetic Loser
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Erin

Re: my self esteem sucks like crap - June 14th 2010, 08:55 PM

I struggle with my self esteem too. I try to avoid a mirror and i don't even try to make an effort anymore. I cut also and you know what, i don't even care if anyone sees anymore because that's what makes me, me.
You need to learn to accept yourself and if people are like that then they are not worth it and just move on.
  Send a message via MSN to LastRedAppleStanding  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Lost it Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: my self esteem sucks like crap - June 16th 2010, 05:44 PM

hey, listen..
may be you are prettier than what ppl around you can take... it happens, you know? when someone's pretty and accomplishing, people dont like it and they dont admit it coz they cant...
and listen, beauty comes from within... when you are happy, you feel beautiful.
so chuck all of them, make new friends, more friends is what you need...
and as to the guy on yahoo! answers, like alessa and the others said, he's a jerk, and take it from me, he may be looks worse than crap.
so, buck up, girl, and show 'em all, YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE, and if they cant see your beauty, POOR THEM!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING...

hope i helped!

Closed Thread