TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Not looking forward to the future. - June 10th 2010, 08:08 PM

I've had depression before, so I feel like I should be able to recognize it when I see it, but now I'm just not sure what's wrong with me. I start college in 2 months, and whenever I think about it, which is a heck of a lot, I just cry. It's not because I'm scared to be alone, or I'll miss my parents, but I feel like I was made for something else. Don't get me wrong, I want to go to college so bad, but not this specific college. I only chose it because my parents wanted me to, my siblings have gone there, and I got a scholarship to any college in the state. I hate Florida, especially the small town where the university is located.

My sister tells me not to be selfish and that I'll like the college once I start, but the main thing that bugs me is that it would be giving in and living my life by someone else's standards. I feel like I should be challenging myself and teaching myself not to settle for less, because I've always lived in terms of other people's wants and needs: I wear hand-me-downs, I rarely ask for anything so that we can continue paying my sister's rent, and now this. I want to break free and I feel like this is the only thing holding me back.

But if you do suggest something along the lines of, "Give it a chance. You'll learn to like the college," then please tell me how to get over this wave of sadness.

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
CoolBluAly Offline
<3 Live, Laugh, Love <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Not looking forward to the future. - June 11th 2010, 04:02 AM

It sounds like you feel like someone else has made the choice for you. I thing to remember is; This is your life. If you don't want to go to this college, then transfer. It sounds like you only went to this college because your siblings had, your siblings are different than you and probably have different dreams and hopes and aspirations; Don't follow their path. You are your own person with your own aspirations, and dreams, and in able to chase these dreams you need to stand up and do what you need to do and go where you need to go for you.

You can't just not go to this college, but I'm going to tell you what you don't want to hear: Try it. Maybe it won't be that bad, and if it's not what your looking for, transfer. Work hard in this college and get good grades, then transfer to a college where you can reach your goals

Hope I helped! Pm me and tell me how it went

'If he wants a fight well now he's got one
And he ain't seen me crazy yet
He slapped my face and he shook me like a rag doll
Don't that sound like a real man?
I'm gonna show him what little girls are made of
Gunpowder and lead'

-Miranda Lambert, Gunpowder and Lead

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: Not looking forward to the future. - June 15th 2010, 06:59 PM

Firstly, I'm going to say that whatever makes you happy is not something that's another person's path cut for you. If this college turns out to make you happy, then that's a GOOD thing. Please, at least give it a chance for that purpose - try out a month and see if you do really enjoy it. I'm not saying you have to tolerate a whole year. If it ends up making you miserable after then or if you're still thinking about other colleges, you might want to transfer. There are lots of scholarships and grants available for students with financial need, so I would say any college is possible if you really want it.

Private message me anytime if you need a friend. =]

"Life should not be measured by how far we can fall, but how high we can climb."

Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
Closed Thread