TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make A Wish ☼
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lacey

Unhappy Discharged. - June 13th 2010, 11:07 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So, as some people know... I got really upset last night and OD'd on pain killers. Immediately after I did it I called 911 because I realized what I had just done and gotten really scared. I know I don't really want to die... Apparently, thats why I was able to be released from the hospital. But, at the same time, I kind of wanted to be admitted. I feel like I could really benefit from being in the hospital and just getting help. I didn't want to say that to the psych, because my mom was right there. So, I let them discharge me. Plus, I know my family can't afford me being in the hospital again so soon, last time was in January. So, I don't know... I guess I'm not even sure why I'm posting this. I kind of just want opinions. Did I do the right thing by letting them discharge me, or should I have spoken up? Being hospitalized helped me before, but therapy is helping me too. Am I going to get better even if I didn't get put in the hospital? =\ Ugh. I'm sorry. I just have so many questions. Do you think my therapist is going to be mad at me? I skipped my last 3 sessions with her. Not really skipped but, wasn't able to make it. Do you think she is going to blame me since I didn't come? Like, that its my fault that this all happened since I skipped therapy? =\ Idk... I'm really sorry I have so many different thoughts in my head. Any feedback would be nice. Thanks guys.

Life is to short to put it off anymore
You gotta live it before itís too late
I canít turn that clock back around
On what youíre dreaming about
You better do it now, donít wait

Do something crazy and dumb, while your still young. <3

Need to talk? I'm here. --->
  Send a message via MSN to *~Circus Clown~*  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Discharged. - June 13th 2010, 11:26 PM

Hi Lacey, I don't think your therapist will blame you at all. You cannot help it if you couldn't make it to your last few sessions. Rather, I am sure she will be extremely proud of you for realizing what you did and making the appropriate decision to call 911. That is really phenomenal. Congratulations!

Whether or not you should have allowed them to discharge you, I cannot say. If you feel you are in a real rut at the moment and being admitted to a hospital would help stabilize you, then perhaps that is something that you should discuss with your therapist at your next session. The important thing is to make a decision based on what you feel you need, not your friends or family. Remember, recovery is essentially about you, and only you know what you need at this place in time.

Please take care. xx

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make A Wish ☼
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lacey

Re: Discharged. - June 14th 2010, 03:14 AM

Thank you. I'm really glad I realized it too. I just wish I hadn't done it at all.
My next therapy session is this coming friday. However, the psych at thehospital wants me to do family sessions now. I'm not going to start that this session but I am really worried about that... Is it normal to feel afraid that your parents will understand you? O.o

Life is to short to put it off anymore
You gotta live it before itís too late
I canít turn that clock back around
On what youíre dreaming about
You better do it now, donít wait

Do something crazy and dumb, while your still young. <3

Need to talk? I'm here. --->
  Send a message via MSN to *~Circus Clown~*  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Discharged. - June 14th 2010, 04:58 AM

Hey, good thinking calling 911! Thats probably the only thing that could have ever let you off the hook. But your therapist will understand. After all, its their job.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Discharged. - June 14th 2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Shooting*Stars* View Post
Is it normal to feel afraid that your parents will understand you? O.o
Yes, I think this is a concern for many people. The thing is, I'm sure your parents love you very much. I'm sure they want to understand you and learn how they can best help. They may have difficulty at first, but that is one of the reasons why you'll be going to therapy together -- to learn to better understand each other and work through any kinks in your relationship. Try to remember that you aren't just being tossed in a room alone with them, too. Your therapist will be there to back up what you have to say in medical terms.

If given time, I'm sure your parents will come around. No parent wants to see their child suffer, and it can be a hard thing to accept. However, if given the time and proper information regarding your situation, I'm sure they will turn out to be very supportive. They do love you, Lacey.

All the best!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Anya_Bananya Offline
Not Your Average Bananna
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anna

Re: Discharged. - June 14th 2010, 09:48 PM

The others pretty much said what I would say to you...but I just wanted to congratulate you on having the guts to call 911. I've never gone that far before, but if I did, I don't know if I would be brave enough to call for help. Anyway, well done.

As for the therapy concerns, I'd be afraid for my family to understand me too. I don't think it's normal to be afraid of that, but I do think that it is normal to be afraid of opening up about things that you've not peviously told your family. This could be a really great experience for you. I would caution you to talk seriously with your therapist about how family therapy is supposed to go and how much you really want to reveal and at what pace.

Good luck!

~Anya~

"Every day is new, there are no mistakes in it yet." - Miss Stacy, Anne of Green Gables

"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide" -Garth Brooks
  Send a message via AIM to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Yahoo to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Skype™ to Anya_Bananya 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: Discharged. - June 16th 2010, 05:31 AM

I am SO happy you called 911. That was incredibly brave and strong of you. I think you could get better even outside of the hospital. Now that you know you want to change, it will be easier to do so. Just put some serious effort into being honest and working hard through therapy and I think things will start to look up for you.

Please, if you ever need a friend, don't hesitate to private message me.

"Life should not be measured by how far we can fall, but how high we can climb."

Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
Closed Thread