TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmyIsLegit Offline
(:
Average Joe

Name: Amy (:

Ways to get "hard" - July 7th 2010, 05:07 AM

Okay, the title may be misleading, but it's not hard in the way you're probably thinking. Lately I've been having problems in life and such and whenever I'm upset or anything, I start crying or get suicidal or want to run away and everything. It's really hard on me and I hate getting so sensitive, emotional and depressed so easily. Trust me, it's the littlest and simplest things that shouldn't even really bother me that are doing this, and I hate how emotional I'm getting. I need to get more stable with my feelings!

So the purpose of this thread is basically asking all of you TH people: Is there any ways you know of to help me get stronger emotionally? You know, not crying or feeling suicidal etc every time something goes wrong and just getting "harder". Any help or ideas you may have are really appreciated, and thank you so much!

Second chances; They don't matter.
People never change.
  Send a message via AIM to AmyIsLegit Send a message via MSN to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Yahoo to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Skype™ to AmyIsLegit 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Ways to get "hard" - July 7th 2010, 06:27 AM

Trust me, hiding your emotions within a hard heart will make you suicidal. I would know. I've never had a problem with showing too much emotion, but if you think you are "overreacting" emotionally to a situation, try to put it into context. Ask yourself why you are reacting this way -- are you afraid of being hurt? Of hurting others? Of abandonment? etc. These types of responses could indicate problems with self-image or self-esteem. If you don't mind my asking, what types of things make you upset? For me it's mostly interpersonal, which is obviously different from crying/feeling depressed over failing a test, for example.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AmyIsLegit Offline
(:
Average Joe

Re: Ways to get "hard" - July 7th 2010, 06:38 AM

Well I get these feelings and thoughts from smaller things, like disappointing a friend, not being able or wanting to do what other people want from me, when my parents insult me or just joke with little things they know that bug me. I feel like I'm reacting much too strongly to things like this by crying or feeling suicidal or like I want to run away, and I feel I need help toughening up and learning to not react in the ways that I do to these kinds of situations.

People never change.
  Send a message via AIM to AmyIsLegit Send a message via MSN to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Yahoo to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Skype™ to AmyIsLegit 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: Ways to get "hard" - July 7th 2010, 08:38 AM

Forcing yourself to toughen up and take it will only make you feel worse. You can bottle your feelings away for so long, but eventually they build up until there's no room and explode and you feel a lot worse. If you're feeling depressed or suicidal, chances are something is causing it. Maybe lots of negative things happening, or being too hard on yourself or if it happens a lot it could even be a medical depression.

Regardless, when you're depressed the best thing you can do is seek support. Talk to a friend or anyone you trust about it and try to find something you enjoy doing to cheer you up. Don't ever feel your problems are too small to talk about, if it upsets you it's not small, and everyone deserves support.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
AmyIsLegit Offline
(:
Average Joe

Re: Ways to get "hard" - July 7th 2010, 04:32 PM

That's very true. I normally do bottle my feelings up, when someone would make me upset. It just annoys me how these little things could make me so upset. But thanks you guys. (:

People never change.
Closed Thread