TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Depression and Suicide (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-depression-suicide/)
-   -   Should I take them? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-depression-suicide/t48898-should-i-take-them/)

Starfish July 7th 2010 07:19 PM

Should I take them?

Hi there,

I've just got back from the doctors who have told me i have depression and have prescribed me some pills.

I'm now terrified about this...
1) Will these change me?
2) Will I get yucky side effects?
3) I don't feel down all the time, sometimes I'm ok, a little bit crazy, bouncing up and down, so isn't this bad that i'm on anti depressants when i'm not always sad and empty?

I'm not asking for medical advice, just another person's take who may be thinking more clearly and less panicky than me. I'm now very dubious and unsure about taking these things... :(

Thanks guys xx

Halo345 July 7th 2010 08:34 PM

Re: Should I take them?

Whats the name of the persription if you don't mind me asking.

ALLorNOTHINGforCHRIST July 7th 2010 08:49 PM

Side affects can vary from person to person and from medication to medication. I would suggest that you read on the bottle as to what some side affects can be and how to handle them. Sometimes it will give you how bad the side affects can be usually they are mild and do not lasts long.

Talk to your doctor if you have any problems or side affects not on the bottle. Be SURE to take the pill as directed.

Starfish July 7th 2010 10:38 PM

They are called 'citalopram hydrobromide'

I guess i'm not too worried about side effects as the doctor didn't really mention that and I imagine the meds are fairly mild.

I'm more worried about taking them when i'm not down, it just seems a bit weird. Also is it going to change who I am, i'm a bit freaked out by changing the way I am...

thanks guys, I know i'm probably over-reacting, what I wouldn't give to be 'normal'!

Edit: Ok, I've just looked at the side effects and vomiting is one of them, i'm terrified of being sick, has anyone experienced this side effect? I really don't want to take them now...

Fucking Done July 7th 2010 11:20 PM

I'm on paxil and they really helped me after about 3 months, took awhile but hey it worked for me.

I don't want to tell you to do something you don't want too. But when a doctor gives you a prescription it usually means you need it.

Eyes on Fire-Xx July 8th 2010 12:38 AM

If you take them all the time, it wont do anythingbwhen your not down, because the illness is still there, and if you stopped taking them for a day or two, your body would go into withdrawl and it would make it even worse, so take them as directed, and dont stop because you feel better.and i dont mean to be insensitive, but whats worse, depresion or the possibility of get a little sick once or twice?

Starfish July 8th 2010 09:47 AM

Ok thanks guys,

You are right, I just need to 'man up' so to speak!

I guess I'm being silly just wishing it wasn't really happening and trying to legitimately avoid anything and everything.

Sumi, love your profile pic, even if it is a lil bit scary, don't blink!