TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rednailpolish92 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Katie

Growing Fascination - July 8th 2010, 05:01 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

recently, everything in my life has just fallen apart. i feel like theres nowhere to go, and no one to turn to that wont judge me as a failure. i put so much work into my life and i feel as though it is not rewarded, like at all. for 5 years, i have dealt with self harm and now it seems as that isnt enough for me, it doesnt help like it used to. for the past few weeks, i have thrown around the idea of suicide... and honestly, it scares the crap out of me. i dont think that i have "the guts" to go through with it, but just the thought of me thinking about taking my own life scares me, and im afraid that my SH will get out of control, to the point that i will end up seriously hurt. what can i do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Crescendo Offline
Walking The Line
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ...

Re: Growing Fascination - July 8th 2010, 08:40 PM

you may have a mental illness such as Depression. Many Mental illnesses like depression are treatable with medication, therapy, and lifestyle changes such as eating balanced meals and getting enough sleep. It is however very very hard to go it alone. Your life is valuable, and with treatment things CAN get better. We all need somebody to lean on. Reach out for help and support from people online, at a hotline, or who you know and trust. If you think it would be a burden, imagine that you had a friend who killed themselves and in the note said they didn't reach out for help to you because they didn't want to "bother" you. asking for help now will be a lot less painful/burdensome on another person than killing yourself would be. if words aren't doing you justice, try art!

Also, Ask yourself "If I was happy, how would life be different than it is now?" It may be hard to imagine if you've been in emotional pain for a long time, but try to write as much as you can about what your life would be like. Then try to pick out the things in your "happy" life that you actually have control over and can work towards. Something like winning the lottery isn't realistic, but there are probably going to be several things that you do have control over. Make them specific and realistic goals and take small steps towards them each day.

You're not a failure. you're breathing. your typing. YOU'RE FIGHTING. thats amazing. give yourself some credit.

You'e NOT alone!
Feel free to VM or PM anytime.

Megan

When the patient's body has betrayed them,
and all the sciencewe have to offer has failed them,
when worst-case scenario comes true,
clinging to hope is all we've got left.
-grey's.anatomy-

(#3 (permalink)) Old
hope begins Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hannah

Re: Growing Fascination - July 8th 2010, 09:26 PM

Hey - I'm sorry things are so difficult just now. I understand how frustrating it is when you're trying so hard and everything just seems to go wrong. Do you think it would help at all to talk a bit more about what's going on in your life just now that's making you feel bad? Do you know what has triggered things getting worse? If you do want to talk about it, we're listening..

I'm glad that thinking about suicide scares you and (hopefully) you realise you don't really want to do it; I know it's so distressing though. I hope you can manage to keep yourself safe. I think that with self-harm, there does eventually come a point where it's not going to help like it used to. It's true that it isn't "enough", in that it isn't going to change anything and in the long run, it's not really going to help. I hope that instead of having it escalate, you can look at finding other healthier, more helpful ways of coping with how you're feeling. Is there anything that has helped in the past? Sometimes I find journalling useful, or being able to talk to someone, or just keeping distracted (I like to go to the gym, which lets out tension and also the whole exercise=endorphins thing, or do something that takes a lot of focus - like, for me, jewellery making). Just, there are other things that will help, maybe not as much as self-harm at first, but I'm sure you can find things to do to help yourself.

Is there anyone you can talk to about all this? Even just a friend or something is good - but are you seeing a counsellor or therapist or anything? I just think this isn't something you should have to be dealing with on your own and people really can help, so if now, how would you feel about going to your doctor and trying to get some support with this?

I hope you're alright, take care of yourself. If you want to talk or anything, feel free to message me anytime.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
rednailpolish92 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Growing Fascination - July 10th 2010, 02:39 AM

holy crap guys. you have no clue how much those words mean to me... it seems like every day is harder than the last... i mean, yea i have good moments, and i dont let people see that im sad. a counselor is out of the question... my parents dont know how much im dealing with, and im a minor, so if i did see a counsleor, theyd have to tell my parents. but thanks. i am very passionate about art, although i never though of it as an outlet...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Crescendo Offline
Walking The Line
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ...

Re: Growing Fascination - July 10th 2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednailpolish92 View Post
holy crap guys. you have no clue how much those words mean to me... it seems like every day is harder than the last... i mean, yea i have good moments, and i dont let people see that im sad. a counselor is out of the question... my parents dont know how much im dealing with, and im a minor, so if i did see a counsleor, theyd have to tell my parents. but thanks. i am very passionate about art, although i never though of it as an outlet...
glad i could help. please don't hesitate to vm or pm me. you're not alone.

Megan

When the patient's body has betrayed them,
and all the sciencewe have to offer has failed them,
when worst-case scenario comes true,
clinging to hope is all we've got left.
-grey's.anatomy-

(#6 (permalink)) Old
JackOffJill Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karyn

Re: Growing Fascination - July 10th 2010, 02:43 AM

Could you ask your parents if you could see a therapist and if they ask you why just tell them that you need someone to talk to? Could you ask them without having to tell any details about why you need a therapist? I know my sister did that with my mom and my mom had no problem just accepting it and letting my sister see someone. Its worth a try maybe.

"Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself and become a new person." -Gerard Way
  Send a message via AIM to JackOffJill  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
rednailpolish92 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Growing Fascination - July 10th 2010, 03:25 AM

its is worth a try. ill work on it thanks

Closed Thread