TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lone Wolf Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gemma

Don't know what's wrong - July 29th 2010, 08:36 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

My mood has taken a sudden turn for the worse over the last few days. Yesterday morning, I had this sudden and overpowering urge to overdose on my meds. I've been having these crazy mood swings - I have momnets were I feel so low I want to kill myself, and moments where I am extremely irritable and do things on impulse which I regret later (e.g. breaking things, shouting at people). I feel so lonely right now. I have no friends due to severe social anxiety, and I'm dreading going back to school. I also miss my dad, who just moved out.

I'm a total mess right now.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
UltraViolet Offline
Emotionally Unstable
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lea

Re: Don't know what's wrong - July 29th 2010, 04:14 PM

Hey Gemma.
When I read your message I felt like it could of been one that i had written.
When you talk about mood swings and feeling irritable, i know exactly what you mean!
Have you tried going back to your doctor and telling them?
It could be a side effect of your meds.
Also, i dont know what meds your on, but on my anti-depressants and anxiety pills, they say in the side effected that Sh and an urge to Od can be associated with them.

If you tell your doctor they will either change your meds, or want to monitor the situation.
For me I've been reffered to somewhere else, to hopefully get another set of meds to try to counteract it all.
For me i feel that its all very frustrating and also because i dont know who i am without these meds now, does that feeling effect you to?

I think if you go to your doctor about ur meds then hopefully things might seem a little brighter.

Lea xxx

'thanks to you i never trusted...'
- Boy Kill Boy

This depression is a killer...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lone Wolf Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Don't know what's wrong - August 1st 2010, 08:35 AM

The medication I'm taking is 40mg Prozac for depression and anxiety. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist tommorrow, so I will be sure to tell her about my mood swings and suicidal thoughts then.

Thanks for your help.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ruki Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Name: Jodie

Re: Don't know what's wrong - August 2nd 2010, 02:39 AM

hey Gemma,
you should talk to your docter. i have social anxiety too, its hard because i am not on any meds. i hop eyou are doing ok, ttyl.

ruki, aka Jodie
  Send a message via MSN to ruki  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Don't know what's wrong - August 2nd 2010, 03:59 AM

Were you having mood swings before starting the meds? I only ask because Prozac tended to fuck with my head in a number of different ways, irrational mood shifts among them.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lone Wolf Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Don't know what's wrong - August 3rd 2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost On The Highway View Post
Were you having mood swings before starting the meds? I only ask because Prozac tended to fuck with my head in a number of different ways, irrational mood shifts among them.
No, I didn't have any mood swings before I started taking prozac. I've had my fair share of physical side effects, but nothing that has effected me mentally until now.

My psychiatrist says she wants to keep an eye on me, and I've got another appointment with her in a week's time.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Don't know what's wrong - August 4th 2010, 02:07 AM

I'm not saying the meds are the cause, but I wouldn't rule it out either. The first night I was on SSRI's (lexapro) I stayed up until 5AM and cut my wrist with a pocket knife. On prozac, I'd alternate between depression, delusion, intense anger, and feelings of emptiness (mental as well as emotional). Oddly enough, I've never had a physical side effect

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Don't know what's wrong - August 4th 2010, 06:22 PM

Gemma,

I am glad that you were able to talk to your psychiatrist about what is going on. I am also glad that she took some action and is going to be checking up on you a little more regularily.

Right now is a tough time; there could be a lot of different reasons for your mood swings. The medicine might be a part of it or it might not but I am sure your doctor will help you figure that out. The thing to remember is that it takes a while for the medicine to really take effect and doctors almost always start out at a low dosage and work their way up. It might take a while for you to get into a more stable mood but it will happen with time. It also sounds like your psychiatrist really listens and really wants to do what is best for you. Trust her and I am sure with time things will improve.

Are you in therapy? If not I would suggest that you go to a therapist too. While medicine can help get you more stable they should not be your sole source of help. Medicine, as my doctor explained it, is to help stabilize a person so that they can work on things in therapy. Sometimes if a person is not stable it is hard to cope with therapy which is why medicine is implemented. Once the person becomes a little more stable therapy proves a little more helpful and can be a little less difficult.

If you don't know of any therapists in your area I would suggest that you ask your doctor and see if she can give you any names.

As for your dad is there any way you can tell him how you are feeling in regards to him moving out? See if you guys can hang out on a more regular basis? I know it sucks to be separated from your parents but that can be worked out. It won't ever feel as great as living with them full time but if you see them on a regular basis it might feel more stable and you might not miss him as much.

Hope this helped and best of luck,

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lone Wolf Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Don't know what's wrong - August 10th 2010, 08:01 AM

I'm not in therapy, but my psychiatrist is thinking of contacting a place for young people where they do a kind of therapy, and also groupwork, which should help my social anxiety.

As for my dad, we're going to go to his badminton club every Monday night, so we can spend some time with him then.

Closed Thread