TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jordansg Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Should I see a counselor? - August 1st 2010, 10:09 AM

Well I came to ask for advice on wether or not I should talk to a counselor. I feel like I am depressed. Not really suicidal (although i have thought about why i would not commit suicide) though. I feel like i just ignore my problems and when i do look at them they are just there. I dont feel anything about them. I took a personality test as an assignment for a college class and Im going to share the results I got for the Neuroticism section of it.

On a scale of 1-99:

Your score on Neuroticism is high, indicating that you are easily upset, even by what most people consider the normal demands of living. People consider you to be sensitive and emotional.

Anxiety I got a 93
The "fight-or-flight" system of the brain of anxious individuals is too easily and too often engaged. Therefore, people who are high in anxiety often feel like something dangerous is about to happen. They may be afraid of specific situations or be just generally fearful. They feel tense, jittery, and nervous. Persons low in Anxiety are generally calm and fearless. Your level of anxiety is high.

Anger I got a 95
Persons who score high in Anger feel enraged when things do not go their way. They are sensitive about being treated fairly and feel resentful and bitter when they feel they are being cheated. This scale measures the tendency to feel angry; whether or not the person expresses annoyance and hostility depends on the individual's level on Agreeableness. Low scorers do not get angry often or easily. Your level of anger is high.

Depression I got a 97
This scale measures the tendency to feel sad, dejected, and discouraged. High scorers lack energy and have difficult initiating activities. Low scorers tend to be free from these depressive feelings. Your level of depression is high.

Self consciousness I got a 87
Self-conscious individuals are sensitive about what others think of them. Their concern about rejection and ridicule cause them to feel shy and uncomfortable abound others. They are easily embarrassed and often feel ashamed. Their fears that others will criticize or make fun of them are exaggerated and unrealistic, but their awkwardness and discomfort may make these fears a self-fulfilling prophecy. Low scorers, in contrast, do not suffer from the mistaken impression that everyone is watching and judging them. They do not feel nervous in social situations. Your level or self-consciousness is high.

Immoderation I got a 99
Immoderate individuals feel strong cravings and urges that they have have difficulty resisting. They tend to be oriented toward short-term pleasures and rewards rather than long- term consequences. Low scorers do not experience strong, irresistible cravings and consequently do not find themselves tempted to overindulge. Your level of immoderation is high.

Vulnerability I got a 99
High scorers on Vulnerability experience panic, confusion, and helplessness when under pressure or stress. Low scorers feel more poised, confident, and clear-thinking when stressed. Your level of vulnerability is high.

Hopefully this is not to much to read... I would have linked the website to the personality test but Im not sure if linking websites is allowed or not.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rain~ Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Danni

Re: Should I see a counselor? - August 1st 2010, 10:52 AM

Hi there

Websites and things on the internet aren't always accurate, so don't feel like you are messed up because the scores were high.

If you're feeling like you're not coping with things very well or like you need some help or someone to talk to then yes, go and see a councellor. They might be able to really help you. You obviously feel like you need a bit of help with things so you could benefit from going to one.

I hope things go well, PM me anytime
Take care

(#3 (permalink)) Old
katniss Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sarah

Re: Should I see a counselor? - August 2nd 2010, 07:05 PM

Hi there. I think there are lot of people who feel like they might be depressed, and I think a lot of people are. Since I don't know your situation it's hard to say, but I think it definitely couldn't hurt to talk to someone. Just airing out your problems and talking things through can help a lot, and there are people that will understand. I have seen a therapist for a number of years, and it's always done nothing but help. If you would like to talk things out before seeing a counselor, feel free to PM me, and I can share with you some of the coping strategies that I have learned over the years.. maybe I can help a bit.
It's important to remember that any depression you're feeling is understandable, and it's never wrong or inconsequential to feel the way you're feeling. You deserve to be happy.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Should I see a counselor? - August 3rd 2010, 12:52 AM

Hey,

Those online tests and stuff are not exactly the best way to determine things like depression or what not. So, I would try and not worry too much about the results you have recieved.

I think that going to a therapist is a good idea for many people. It might be good for you to go and share your problems and have an evaluation done. The therapist could listen to what is going on in life and try and help you work out some strategies to improve your coping skills.

I think the fact that you came on here asking if maybe you should see a counselor is an indication that a part of you wants to go to one. I do not think there is anything wrong with that at all. If it is something you are considering, even slightly, then I think you should do it. What could it hurt?

Best of luck.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Should I see a counselor? - August 3rd 2010, 01:13 AM

Hey Jordan,

Like the others have said, I wouldn't worry too much about the results you received online. Those tests are good for getting to know yourself a bit more, but they can't diagnose you with depression or any other mental health disorder. That being said, that doesn't mean they are never accurate. When I first started to feel depressed I took a test online to find out if I had depression. It said I was severely depressed and should see a doctor. Eventually I did see a doctor, and found out I had depression. But regardless, tests aren't always correct.

You say you've been feeling depressed though, so I think it might be a good idea for you to see a counselor. Everyone could use a little bit of help once in awhile, and there's no requirements you have to meet to get that help. If you feel you need it, that's all that matters.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#6 (permalink)) Old
HopelessVictim Offline
Love Me Before I Parish♥
Average Joe

Name: April J.

Re: Should I see a counselor? - August 5th 2010, 04:08 PM

Those internet personality tests are usually not even close to accurate, but if you do feel like what your results say is the truth, I would suggest seeing a doctor to make sure. If the doctor says it's true, then I think you should go to counseling. but only if you truly want to. If you don't want to see a counselor, then don't. If you do want to see a counselor, then do. It's entirely your choice.
To be honest, counseling never worked for me, but that was only because I didn't feel comfortable telling my counselor my real feelings and problems. That's why when you do see a counselor, make sure that you feel comfortable telling him/her about your problems. If your never comfortable with telling your counelor your problems, you can never get real help.

The Day I First Cut Myself...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: Should I see a counselor? - August 5th 2010, 07:51 PM

When I went though a heavy depression, I wasn't truthful to myself at all throughout it. I always told myself I was fine even when I was resorting to alcohol to escape and having hallucinations of various ways to die... basically, it's hard to be honest with yourself. If you feel depressed, most likely you are - that's my experience. Just as guys, it's usually hard to admit which I think led me further down the spiral.

"Maybe I just like people. Maybe sexuality isn't one thing or the other. Maybe it's just something that's shifting and moving. I just know I'm not thinking man or woman."
- SHAMELESS.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Maiden Offline
Bring It On
Average Joe

Name: Liadan

Re: Should I see a counselor? - August 6th 2010, 12:46 AM

Hey, regardless of the online sites, counselling is great. I've been going to counselling on and off for 3 years and it's really really helpful for me. It's good to just have somebody to talk to, about anything.

Ever mind the Rule of Three: Three times what thou givest returns to thee: This lesson well, thou must learn: Thee only gets what thou dost earn.

Closed Thread