TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
acting101 Offline
Average Joe

Suicidal friend. Please help... - August 21st 2010, 02:38 AM

I'm freaking out. About a week ago, my friend wanted to commit suicide, but I talked him outta it over msn. I made him promise to me that he'd never try to again, and he promised.

Tonight, he was suicidal again. He kept going on and on about how nobody cares or likes him, and that everything in his life is going downhill... when really, it's not! I don't know where he's getting this false sense of being hated. Sure there are some people that don't like him, but everyone has enemies! Like, honestly.

He kept telling me that I had to give up on him, because he can't stand making me upset when he's like this. But if I leave, that might mean that our promise isn't in effect anymore. And I really don't want to lose him... he's like a brother to me. He had to go, but told me to text him, but I freaking can't because my phone has no service and he went offline before I could tell him.. and I'm just so SCARED he's gonna do something bad.

I don't know what to do! He's at the end of his ropes and I don't know how to bring him back to safety. I'm just... scared, and freakin' out. I dunno what to do... I know one thing I could to is tell his parents or some adult, but I really don't know how.

Last edited by acting101; August 21st 2010 at 02:46 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Suicidal friend. Please help... - August 21st 2010, 02:52 AM

I know EXACTLY how you feel about being worried about a suicidal friend and what they would do to themselves when your not within their sight. Next time, sit down with him and tell him exactly how you feel and how much you care for him. Telling an adult whether it'd be a teacher or his parents will be the best thing to do in this case. But remember, has horrible as this may sound, if he does do something, it won't be your fault because you tried your best in being their for him. Now you say that you don't know how to tell someone about your friend? Maybe try something like "I'm worried about one of my friends. He's been telling me that he wants to kill himself and I don't know what to do." If you can't talk to them face to face maybe try writing a letter.

I hope I helped. PM me if you need any help.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Suicidal friend. Please help... - August 21st 2010, 03:17 AM

well; i was in your situation... but backwards?
i was the suicidal friend.
& my friend ended up telling her mom; and revealing who it was.
& her mom told my mom... & it made me feel worse.
i felt like my friend betrayed me; she told my biggest secret..
i understand now that she was trying to help me but...
i still felt like she betrayed me.
i ended up dropping her as a friend all together.

if you do tell your parents or someone,
try to not reveal who they are.
especially if you know that it's just going to hurt them worse.

my suggestion is...
endlessly tell him that you will be there for him... ALWAYS.
and keep that promise.
when i'm feeling down & suicidal all i want to hear is that people care about me.
constantly talk to him... so there won't be much time for him to decide to commit suicide & you not know.

stay strong for your friend.
message me f you need someone else to talk to. <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Suicidal friend. Please help... - August 21st 2010, 02:56 PM

Hi Lily

Your situation sound awful. I think, like the others have said, try being there for him as much as you can.
When you are suicidal, it feels like the world is gonna come crashing in on your head any minute.
He obviously trusts you a hell of alot, to have told you he is suicidal. It takes alot of guts.
I think he is crying out for help.
Like Amiko said, if you do tell an adult, don't reveal his identity, because it's more than likely he won't trust you anymore.
You could suggest to him that he rings up a suicide hotline when he feels like he wants to commit. It could be beneficial to both of you. Also, is your friend recieving any professional help? such as a therapist?
If he isn't it might be a subject you need to approach with him.

I really hope this helps

Keep strong,
Charli

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Suicidal friend. Please help... - August 30th 2010, 01:20 PM

Hey,

I also know what it is like to have a suicidal friend, and it is hard to deal with. I have lost 2 friends because of suicide, and one of them actually died whilst she was on MSN to me. It was hard, but I tried talking her out of it. There was nothing I could do for her, and I do feel bad about it..even still months later.

Obviously tell someone about it, because that way you would feel less upset, and its good to vent on people and it will help. Maybe its best to tell someone within your family, or maybe someone at school. Also, I would recommend telling the person that you are very worried about them.

If you need to talk, have a natter...or anything, please PM me and I am more than happy to help. I care about you

Lex-Fauzia.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Laura

Re: Suicidal friend. Please help... - August 31st 2010, 01:06 AM

i was in your friend's situation about 2 years ago. honestly, the only thing that ever worked from me was when the one and only friend i talked to slipped and accidentally told her dad and her dad ended up telling the guidance counselors at our school. So honestly my suggestion is just tell a professional who CAN help your friend. YOU CANT, but THEY CAN. Don't be worried about him being mad at you, I was pissed at my friend for telling on me, but I ended up thanking her, and I still do, for saving my life, and we're still really good friends. Would you rather lose a friendship for a little bit or lose your friend forever?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Suicidal friend. Please help... - August 31st 2010, 06:43 AM

Everything that I read everywhere says that even if your friend makes you promise that you won't tell anyone, don't keep it a secret. Tell someone that the person has told you they're suicidal, and say who the person is! In the end, chances are that even though your friend may feel betrayed at first; they'll probably thank you later on. You won't be betraying anyone, you'll be telling an adult who can better help your friend.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

Closed Thread