TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Are we in a Brave New World? - August 28th 2010, 03:40 AM

Ever since an assigned reading of Brave New World, I've had random bouts of extreme depression regarding society's future. I've always been the type to think complex thoughts, but it's taken until just recently to notice that not many other people think about the future in the same terms as I do. While most are focused on their own future, or not looking towards the future at all, I'm thinking about how the advancement of technology will leave us nearly emotionless, lifeless, and the thought haunts me every day. It's gotten to the point where I place everyone I meet on a spectrum: one end being "lost in technology", the other not. What makes it even worse is that I have this extreme fear of being alone, and I always picture myself in the future being the only one noticing humanity's faults. The thoughts have had such an impact on my life that I don't even know how to be happy anymore. Perhaps I've just been surrounding myself with the wrong people, but I just started college and it seems that almost everyone I've met is so fake and uncaring about the people around them, but the thing that scares me the most is the possibility that I'm the one who's uncaring about those around me. How do I get rid of these horrible thoughts and regain my life back?

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: Are we in a Brave New World? - August 28th 2010, 04:00 AM

You will find a world of wonders in college, let me assure you. There will be many ignorant and uncaring people. However you will meet the brilliant, the talented, the passionate, the altruistic, and every possible type of intellectual that you can imagine.

I don't think we'll be lost in technology; humanity has such a strong pull. Our species in general was raised to be helpful and altruistic to help each other make it through difficult times. I believe this tendency still strongly exerts itself. You can see the parallels being drawn all over the world. Someone creates something for profit and exploitation and a community rises up to support each other and create something new and more beneficial to mankind.

A Brave New World to me focuses around capitalism and the immoral nature of consumerism. They were literally born and raised to be heavy consumers. Drugged out of their minds on Soma. It was not the technology that they were lost in. The technology was implemented to fuel a system led by the choices and desires of greedy individuals. No such people truly exist today.

The real world is far more complex and diverse than the dystopia presented in such classic fiction as Brave New World. For that, I feel lucky.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
someoneoutthere Offline
*if you really knew me*
Not a n00b

Name: R.

Re: Are we in a Brave New World? - August 28th 2010, 04:03 AM

no one can predict what will happen in the future, no one can say for sure what it will be like. just be thankful for the present and what the world is like now. live in today and not tomorrow. if you're not thinking about the present, it will pass by and you won't be able to get it back.

just because of the rapid advances in technology in the past decade, doesnt mean it will keep going at the same rate forever. you're just the same as everyone else out there and if you arent going to fall for the what the future may hold, neither will anyone else. you are not going to be alone, guaranteed.
sorry i couldnt be of more help, i hope you get over this fear

-i still believe,
that there is more love than hate, theres more heart than ache,
and we are stuck in this great big world together-
<3
-red jumpsuit apparatus

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Laura

Re: Are we in a Brave New World? - August 29th 2010, 02:21 AM

You're not the only one who worries about the future. It scares the crap out of me every day. But, regardless of whether you want it to or not, the future's going to happen. Just try to spend time living in the present and don't worry about what's going to happen later. Try taking things one day at a time. That's what I've been trying to do, and it's helped. As far as feeling alone, for me, a lot of it was in my head, I was so concerned that I was going crazy and that nobody liked me and that I had nothing in common with anybody, that I missed out on all of the fun I could have been having. Just try focussing on the up side and having fun instead of thinking about how bad everything is. It couldn't hurt giving it a try could it?

I hope that helped atleast a little bit. Feel free to PM me if you need to talk about anything, or just someone to be there for you.

Closed Thread