TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Someday64 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

a serious case of senioritis or depression? - November 11th 2010, 11:27 PM

I've always been pretty emotional and sensitive, and a bit of a perfectionist, but recently, for the past month, I've been feeling really, really down. All I've been doing for the past couple weeks is sleeping and eating and crying. And I haven't been doing any school work at all.

But the thing is, I've got 4 classes, two are AP and are online, one is AP art and one is med science. I'm failing both my online classes because I've been doing absolutely NO work, and I haven't been doing any work in art class either. But idk if it's just because my online classes are online and I just don't have the motivation to do the work because I'm still doing work for med sci, but maybe that's because I'm actually in the class and my teacher could yell right in my face if she needed to. But I don't have any motivation to do ANYTHING anymore. All I do is sleep, even in school. However, I've always been a bit of a procrastinator and really lazy, but I usually still stay on top of things and get straight A's.

My older sister says it's senioritis. But I've sorta been cutting myself and feeling pretty suicidal. And this just isn't like me. At all. And I really hate myself for feeling this way, and I want to get better and I've been trying to talk to my friends, but there's not really much they can do. I want to ask my parents for counseling and antidepressants or SOMETHING but I'm too afraid of how they'll react. They'll think I'm just being overdramatic, or it's just senioritis. I just don't know what to do. This isn't like me. I feel like I was always on top of things, and now I can't do anything anymore. I'm just tired of everything and I don't care anymore. My online teacher even called my parents to tell them I'm failing. They asked me what's wrong, and I just told them I'm not motivated to do anything anymore. My mom just said "It's not about being motivated to do the work. It's about how you just HAVE to do it."

Anyway, I really don't wanna bother my parents about therapy because they're already having trouble with financial stuff, and I don't wanna add to their worries, especially if it's just because I'm lazy and have senioritis.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Finches Offline
I'm All Ears
Average Joe

Re: a serious case of senioritis or depression? - November 12th 2010, 03:34 AM

Dear Someday64,

I admire your desire to keep things to yourself in fear of worrying your parents. I think that's a very noble thing to do. I've definitely kept things to myself because I didn't want to worry my parents (especially since I'm an adult now).

However, you are still young. You're in high school. What you do now with your academic career matters a lot more down the road (because you'll be applying to college). Your emotional well-being is, thus, very important and needs to be taken care of. That said, you were right in thinking about telling your parents. Don't let the possibility of them being worried stop you. This is something they need to know. They're probably already worried about how you're doing in school. If you don't tell them your concerns, things will get worse than if you didn't tell them. Counseling is a great tool to help you back on the right track. All you need to tell your parents is, "I think I should see a counselor because I want to get better and do well in school." If they hear that you yourself want to get better, then they will take you seriously.

I see that you have your own doubts that you have senioritis. I don't think it's that either. Though I find it interesting that you might think it's true to avoid worrying your parents. The point is, you recognize that things have changed. You know yourself the best. You should seek help and the first step is to tell your parents, who have the power to send you to a counselor.

I hope that helped,
D C

Closed Thread