TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Donnie Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Donnie

Running away - November 19th 2010, 10:18 PM

There is this place in New York that helps homeless transgenders to receive the hormones they need and also helps them find a job and eventually a home.

I currently live in Florida. But I've always wanted to live in New York City. Both my parents and my oldest sister were born in NYC. I've been there a couple times and loved each and every moment.

The only problem is that I don't have enough money to rent out an apartment. I don't have the means to find a job before moving there. So if I go, I'll be living on the streets for a while. Or at least out of a cheap, crappy, roach filled motel. And surviving on ramen or canned foods.

I'm 18, so technically I wont be, "running away." But it kind of feels like I am. I'd be turning by back on the problems I face here and going to someplace where things would be easier. Neither my family or my church are supportive of me being gay. Let alone transitioning. I doubt I would be taking the time to update them of my life both because they would not care, and because my life would be mostly focused on my transition and pulling odd jobs.

In some ways, I would be taking a few steps back. Living on less money then I am now. Not talking to my family. And having to look for a secure job and housing.
But I would also be taking a few steps forward with my transition. Toward ending the depression and being the mate I want to be.

I dunno. I just don't know if I am really making a wise decision here. Am I missing, or overlooking something important? All of it seems worth it to me, but it may not seem like it once I get into the situation. Anyone have any pro's and/or cons to add? Advice for living as cheaply as possible?

(I couldn't think of a better place to put this. I figure it's the body I am stuck in that causes me to be depressed. If I go, then I am one step closer to changing my body closer to what I desire it to be)

(also, apologies if there are miss-spelled words. I'm on a public cpu at my local LGBT center, and their virus protected computer wont let me use spell check >_>)

"Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. " - Agent Smith

"For it is not death, nor dying that I fear. But lack of life and purpose."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Running away - November 19th 2010, 11:48 PM

Well, maybe you should contact this organization and ask them some questions, and do some research to find out if you can get this help, FOR SURE.

Plus, can you save up money right now? If you can, save to compensate for somewhere to stay, at least for a bit.

You seem to know little bits and pieces, but nothing seems to be definitive, so you should probably find everything out FOR SURE before doing something so drastic.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread