TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
captain_obvious Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kyle

Helping a friend deal with a suicidal person - November 21st 2010, 04:13 AM

I told my friend to tell someone ASAP so the person can get the help they need. I also gave them a phone number for the suicide hotline and some links on how to help a suicidal person.

What else could I suggest to my friend to help deal with this crisis?

"People simply disappeared, always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word."

George Orwell

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Helping a friend deal with a suicidal person - November 21st 2010, 08:45 AM

Hey there,

You have done a lot to help your friend already. He is lucky to have you. When people are struggling with depression it really helps for them to have someone there to care. So, I suggest that you continue supporting your friend. I know you may seem helpless because you can not make his problems go away but just the fact that he has a caring person beside him will do a lot.

I also suggest that you ask your friend to make a reason to live list. Sometimes when people are struggling with depression they need a little help to see that there are reasons to keep living. If you friend could make a list he might see all the reasons he has to keep fighting. Remind him that any reason, no matter how small, is reason enough to keep living. I am going to link you to teenhelps reasons to live list. Maybe you could give that to your friend to help give him some ideas of reasons to keep on fighting.

Here is the link:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-depression-suicide/t272-reasons-live/

I think it is important that your friend seek counseling as well. I know you cannot force him to go but let him know that it could help him get to a better place. He might be at a place where death seems like the only option but therapy and finding the proper tools to cope with his feelings and life will help him overcome that.

Lastly, remember to take care of yourself. I know how scary it can be to have a loved one that is suicidal but you are not responsible for his actions. The best thing you can do is support him but in the end he has to take the proper steps to get to a better place.

I really hope this helped and if you need anything please feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
captain_obvious Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Helping a friend deal with a suicidal person - November 23rd 2010, 03:49 AM

You're advice is greatly appreciated.

My friend said that there are other people trying to help this person out and get them the help they need. Thanks again.

"People simply disappeared, always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word."

George Orwell

(#4 (permalink)) Old
how.we.operate. Offline
~Sing Me To Sleep~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nikki

Re: Helping a friend deal with a suicidal person - November 23rd 2010, 10:03 PM

Do you know the person that is depressed/suicidal? But tell your friend this:
One of the best things that you can do is be there for them. Let them know that you care, give them the option to talk to you when they need--tell them it is ok to text/call/IM etc when they need. It is important that the person knows that they have someone to talk to when they need.
Take note that you cannot force them to do anything, so try not to push ideas, but definitely make suggestions.
See if the person will talk to an adult/professional about things or to see if they are open to getting help.

Leave the past behind, just walk away
When it's over, and the heart break
And the cracks begin to show

*~*~This little girl was alone in the world~*~*
Hold Onto Hope

(#5 (permalink)) Old
captain_obvious Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Helping a friend deal with a suicidal person - November 24th 2010, 02:55 AM

I do not know the person who's suicidal.

I've already mentioned what you said. However, I appreciate your advice as well.

George Orwell

(#6 (permalink)) Old
CitizenErased Offline
Erase all the memories
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aidan

Re: Helping a friend deal with a suicidal person - November 24th 2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_obvious View Post
I do not know the person who's suicidal.

I've already mentioned what you said. However, I appreciate your advice as well.
Just keep on being as supportive as you're being, youve done all the things you couldve done.

HelpLINK Mentor:
27/12/2010

LiveHelp Operator
04/01/2011

Wash me away
Clean your body of me
Erase all the memories
They will only bring us pain
And I've seen all I'll ever need

Closed Thread