TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Courage to tell the doctors... I need help - December 17th 2010, 02:31 PM

Basically. I want help. Deep down i know i need it.
I'm going home from uni for xmas and was going to make an appointment to see the doctor.

But i'm scared. I havent a clue what to say.
I can't just turn up and be like i'm feeling really low they'll just laugh.

I can't keep going. I hardly sleep because endless thoughts agitate me too much. I spend days alone just crying. I hate company, yet feel sick at the thought of being alone. Everynight i contemplate ending everything.

but it's stupid. Theres no reason for any of this.

I just don't know how to talk to someone. Don't know what to say, to make it clear that i do need help without making myself sound stupid.

Please. I need ideas.

Then again, maybe i'm being stupid. Theres people out there with far worse problems, and part of me feels guilty for thinking i deserve the help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jace786 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jace

Re: Courage to tell the doctors... I need help - December 17th 2010, 11:51 PM

Dont't worry, i felt like you and i was too scared to go to the doctors.
i ended up self harming which meant i had to go to the doctors so please get help, the doctor won't laugh at you they are trained professionals and trust me you would rather get help now rather then get it the long way round like me.
who cares if you sound stupid to them, maybe just start the convo off by saying 'i havent been feeling myself recently at all..' or just tell the doctor how you feel, the worst he could do is not believe you and even then, there are thousands of other doctors you could go to.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Re: Courage to tell the doctors... I need help - December 18th 2010, 10:45 AM

Thanks, I'm just worried that i'll sound really melodramatic or attention seeking. So i can go in and say i'm feeling really low at the moment... but then what? i can't just go straight into telling him that i'm so depressed i can't sleep, cant get up, spend day by day thinking of ending everything.

I guess its really scary as it's a new doctor who ive never seen before...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Courage to tell the doctors... I need help - December 18th 2010, 04:11 PM

If you manage to start the conversation they'll probably continue it by asking you questions which might be easier to answer than just telling them everything. You are also allowed to tell them that it's hard to talk about so they know that you're uncomfortable, do your best to be honest though since they can only help you with what they know about. They're professionals who will not laugh at you. I'm sure you aren't the first person to go to them with this.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Courage to tell the doctors... I need help - December 18th 2010, 08:07 PM

Hey there,

The doctors will not laugh if you tell them what you are struggling with. The first time I told a doctor all I sad was "I have been sad a lot lately and I think I need help." From there the doctor asked me some more questions and he eventually gave me a referrel. Be as honest as possible because the more honest you are the better able they will be to help you. You can do this and you will feel so much better after you do this.

I really hope this helped and if you need anything feel free to use teenhelps many resources.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Courage to tell the doctors... I need help - December 18th 2010, 08:24 PM

Definitely just go ahead and tell your doctor. They most certainly are not going to laugh, and this is NOTHING to be ashamed of. Everyone needs help sometimes, and they deal with this sort of thing a lot.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Life17 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Courage to tell the doctors... I need help - December 19th 2010, 12:02 AM

I started of feelin as if I felt down for no reason and my feelings and thoughts would be a joke to other. Still today Im dignosed as a major depressive and I still have no reason of why I feel the way I do but I do realize now that my feelings are worth listenin to and they are not a joke and yours isnt either. Just going to the doctor and saying I have a problem would be the first step and good enough for the first vist. I was scared to go to a doctor about my problem at first to and I knew that I was gonna have a hard time talking about it so I wrote everything down on paper and gave it to the doctor and that eliminated alot of anxiety. Hope this help and good luck.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
CitizenErased Offline
Erase all the memories
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aidan

Re: Courage to tell the doctors... I need help - December 21st 2010, 07:40 PM

I know initially it feels so difficult. But all you need to do is turn up, say whatever you are feeling, listen to what the doctor has to say and be completely honest about everything you say. I know its daunting, but it WILL make things better. They know what makes people with Depressive illnesses better. It could be through cognitive behavioral therapies (CBT), (if you dont know what that is, its where you talk to a professional on a one to one basis and they work out how to help you get better), or through medication (or both).

I know its tough, iv been there. But it will be worth the initial work.

HelpLINK Mentor:
27/12/2010

LiveHelp Operator
04/01/2011

Wash me away
Clean your body of me
Erase all the memories
They will only bring us pain
And I've seen all I'll ever need

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Courage to tell the doctors... I need help - December 21st 2010, 09:21 PM

Hey Maia,

You are not stupid for wanting help, it's great that you want help and that you want to get the courage to ask for help from your doctor.
You do deserve the help, your problems are just as big as anyone else's problems and you shouldn't feel guilty for asking for help, everyone needs help in life and try to be glad that you are getting the courage to do this. I know that it's going to be hard to do, but once you are getting the support you need, you will not regret reaching out.
I think you should try writing down how you are feeling and give it to the doctor to read. They won't think your stupid or laugh at you at all, they deal with these kind of patients all the time and they will most likely be concerned and caring, they want to help you, that's why they are there. They might refer you to someone else, such as a psychiatrist or counseling center to get farther treatment for what you are going through.
I hope this has helped and if you ever need anything, you can PM me and I'll be glad to help. Keep strong!

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Rosalie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rosalie

Re: Courage to tell the doctors... I need help - December 22nd 2010, 06:49 AM

Listen, the doctor won't laugh at you. The first time I spoke to someone about my depression, I was terrified that I would seem needy and pathetic and that the doctor would judge me. But now that I've actually seen one, I know that it's the last thing a doctor would do. Mine was the first person who'd ever shown concern for me, and helped me find a medication to help fight my depression. I have no doubt in my mind that I would have commited suicide if I hadn't sought outside help, and thanks to my doctor, my life has improved hundreds of times over. So don't be scared, okay? Getting help is a good thing.

"I don't care. I'll start my own group. Rejection from society is what created The X-Men!"

Closed Thread