TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dyingtolive Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Confused I guess... - December 23rd 2010, 04:53 AM

Sorry if this isn't in the right place or something.. I just barely joined here... But I was wondering... Can a mixture of stress and a few fights with my parents really make someone truly depressed? Cuz it's like for the past year I've felt really depressed and besides for my uncle dying, I don't really think I hv anything to be depressed about... Ok so last November I started cutting myself and I think I was pretty addicted to that till April when I cut too deep and really tried to stop. But basically I stopped and started drinking.., not much but mainly like once a day and just getting buzzed... Then I toned that down and like I remember feeling like really really depressed and hopeless and suicidal and I really didn't sleep at all for like a month and a half... Then I had a while when I felt really happy for no reason then i was back up again feeling depressed and I was like not eating then purging when I absolutely had to eat...like a semi eating disorder... And that only lasted like a couple months... But right now I'm feeling really hopeless and idk why.. I hv a ton of friends and I hv a good family I guess... I just feel like there's nothing in my future... Like what do I do about this?? Has anyone else felt really depressed for like no reason??

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Re: Confused I guess... - December 23rd 2010, 06:18 AM

Yeah I think all the stuff that was going on could have been factors for you being depressed. Have you talked to anyone about it?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dyingtolive Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Confused I guess... - December 23rd 2010, 10:44 PM

No... I'm pretty good at hiding it... I'm a bit of an introvert... So it's kinda hard....

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CitizenErased Offline
Erase all the memories
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aidan

Re: Confused I guess... - December 24th 2010, 02:44 PM

It sounds like you have the more 'Major' depression. Major depression is where there is a chemical inbalance in your brain. Its a mood disorder basically. Your brain makes you feel aweful when you may think there is no reason behind your misery. There is lots of different types of medication out there, that with doctors guidance, can help you get better. I feel like that sometimes, im being given medication to deal with my mood disorder. Hope this helps

HelpLINK Mentor:
27/12/2010

LiveHelp Operator
04/01/2011

Wash me away
Clean your body of me
Erase all the memories
They will only bring us pain
And I've seen all I'll ever need

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dyingtolive Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Confused I guess... - December 24th 2010, 05:01 PM

But wouldn't major depression be like really hard to hide?? Cuz it's like when I'm with other ppl I hide it really well like I laugh and smile and make conversation... But it's still in my head and when I'm alone it just kinda kills me... Like idk what it Is... But I always thought that if it was true depression I wouldn't be able to hide it so well...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Yakult Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Confused I guess... - December 24th 2010, 07:02 PM

I don't think its major depression your suffering from as it would be tricky to hide in day to day life, it may just be a mix other personality disorders taking there toll on you. My life is very similar to yours, minus the drinking and cutting (not that I haven't thought about it....i just don't trust myself). I have a normal family and a decent group of friends, when i'm at work I talk to people normally, laugh and joke, but when I'm alone it's like my mind just drains and negative thoughts flood it. Hiding it is second nature.

Yet even though theres no reason for it I go through phases of 'dark thoughts' and hopelessness. No trigger, it just happens. So in answer to your question, yeah your not the only one.

In terms of things that might help you out, firstly talking to someone is always the obvious answer. I'm not a very trusting person (crazily paranoid about people x.x) but I managed to tell one of my friends about my problems and it went pretty well.

The other thing I might recommend is to try researching other personality disorders that might relate to the ways you feel and act. I did some online tests, results don't necessarily mean you have the disorder but can give you a rough idea of traits you have and things you might wanna read up on.

Closed Thread