TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Harley Quinn Offline
Average Joe

What do you think about writing/blogging for depression? - December 23rd 2010, 08:08 PM

I say blogging with writing instead of just writing because blogging allows you to be more heard with a community.

Pros:
  • Possibility to be heard; ability to let it out.
  • Feedback given
  • Sense of accomplishment when you get more subscribers/comments

Cons:
  • Possibility of never getting any comments or subscribers makes you feel worse than when you started
  • Spam comments; hater comments
  • Lots of work needed over time; too much

That was a basic list I thought of when I thought of blogging for my depression. Not all of us are writers, but I am, so what do you guys think? Should the depressed writers think about this or put aside the idea?

I hope you're having a spectacular day!

You can PM/VM me about anything.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
I've been here a while

Re: What do you think about writing/blogging for depression? - December 23rd 2010, 09:28 PM

I like the idea of writing/blogging when things are going not so great.
I know it helps a lot of friends out just to get their thoughts down.
You shouldn't always assume that you're going to get comments/feedback after everything you post.
& to prevent from getting your hopes up & getting back hate mail... maybe you can have a private blog?
Or don't post it online. Like... write everything in a notebook or possibly a word document that you save/or may not save.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What do you think about writing/blogging for depression? - December 23rd 2010, 09:29 PM

All it ever did was make me dwell on the bad things. When I stopped blogging and moaning about my problems, and actually went and tackled them, I improved very quickly. I don't personally read or comment on depressing blogs cause they just bring me down and I feel they can be so repetitive.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Harley Quinn Offline
Average Joe

Re: What do you think about writing/blogging for depression? - December 24th 2010, 04:21 AM

Interesting; none of these were what I expected. My thoughts are; when I write something down, I get nothing in response. I want a reply, since a majority of my things are questions or unsure decisions. I've taken to emailing various non-profit organizations on suicide, but I wouldn't go off and blog though. Blogging seems to put me down in the dumps and becomes a chore.

I hope you're having a spectacular day!

You can PM/VM me about anything.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: What do you think about writing/blogging for depression? - December 24th 2010, 08:02 AM

Blogging can be helpful for a lot of people. I know for me, it doesn't help.
But for others it's a way for them to get their feelings and thoughts across.
There is also the chance that people will read what they write and give
some feedback and advice. Blogging is a great way to express yourself.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
AnnaChristine Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: AnnaChristine

Re: What do you think about writing/blogging for depression? - December 24th 2010, 08:15 AM

I'm a writer, too, and I also have been faced with depression more times than once.

Personally, I think it's important for anyone who is depressed to keep a private journal. That way you can write down seriously whatever it is in your head that you are feeling, even if it is just a long string of cuss words or questions to yourself.

When I was suffering my worst case of depression I ended up using my journal as an outlet in speaking to God. I won't get all preachy on you just yet, but it's an idea.

Blogging may work for you if you are depressed, but it actually is harder to get out what you need to get out of a blog. People won't respond to you right away, not for a very long time. If you are looking to talk to someone then that is what you should do, go talk to your school counselor or your local reverend or someone who is trained to listen.

It is important to let out what you are feeling when you are depressed, whether you are a writer or not and whether or not you want anyone to respond. Find a healthy way to do it. If you really want someone to respond to what you are feeling online then I think this forum is a good place to do it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
CitizenErased Offline
Erase all the memories
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aidan

Re: What do you think about writing/blogging for depression? - December 24th 2010, 02:39 PM

I think that the responses that you get from blogging is so helpful. Yeah, it can cause more pain sometimes, but if weigh up the positives and negatives, in my opinion, blogging wins!

HelpLINK Mentor:
27/12/2010

LiveHelp Operator
04/01/2011

Wash me away
Clean your body of me
Erase all the memories
They will only bring us pain
And I've seen all I'll ever need

(#8 (permalink)) Old
TheTramp Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dean

Re: What do you think about writing/blogging for depression? - December 24th 2010, 02:44 PM

Blogging is an excellent way of venting i think.
I do it.
Fuck what everyone says, just write what you wish,
And if you KNOW that maybe just one person is reading? that makes it a hell of a lot more helpful

I use blogger cause you can see your views worldwide (bigger audience)
But even TH would be awesome, i havent used it yet cause of my other blog but the support on here is amazing.

Big thumbs up from me

Don't grow up too fast...
Your time is now.
  Send a message via MSN to TheTramp  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: What do you think about writing/blogging for depression? - December 27th 2010, 03:53 AM

I think it'd be a good idea but I wouldn't do it so much for the responses (they vary and could end badly, though I doubt that's the case on here). I'd try it out for a little while and see whether it helps to let it out or whether it's just dwelling on the issues.

If nothing else you could always try finding something creative (writing stories/poems/songs, drawing, playing music) so you could feel productive, build some self esteem, and feel like you're letting out your repressed emotions. A friend of mine lives far away from all her other friends in a state where she isn't appreciated and is discriminated against with parents that don't see what a great person she is. She's got nothing to do (she lives far away from anywhere) but she wants to start writing again and just the thought helps keep her from being lonely or even bored. I really think it'd help a lot seeing as it'd be a productive release.

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What do you think about writing/blogging for depression? - December 27th 2010, 03:32 PM

If it will help you, do it.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: What do you think about writing/blogging for depression? - December 27th 2010, 03:44 PM

I think blogging can be helpful, if done in the right way and for the right reasons.

If you're just writing to have an outlet, it may help. But if you're writing and wanting a ton of responses and back forth conversation, it may end up making you feel worse if it doesn't happen.

I feel the most important thing is to decide why you really want to blog. To help yourself work with your depression, it would have to be done for the most helpful reason even if it's not your personal favorite. You could always start blogging for yourself and expand it later.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
Closed Thread