TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WestboundPuppet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ramon

Exclamation Do you have to be sad to be depressed? - February 21st 2011, 04:28 AM

I have some signs of depression but one I don't have is being sad all the time.
Can you be depressed without feeling sad?

Here are the results of a online depression test I took:

Major Depression: Slight-Moderate
Dysthymia: Very Slight
Bipolar Disorder: Slight-Moderate
Cyclothymia: High-Moderate
Seasonal Affective Disorder: Slight
Postpartum Depression: N/A

(#2 (permalink)) Old
...Curt Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Curt

Re: Do you have to be sad to be depressed? - February 21st 2011, 05:09 AM

Yes, i believe so.

See, depression isn't like a fleeting emotion that comes and goes, it's more like a prolonged ilness... even while you're depressed you will have highs and lows that come with it.

So it isn't uncommon, but I mean if you aren't feeling sad, why not take advantage of that?? Try and change some things that make you depressed!

I think this is your window to make a change!

Good luck

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: Do you have to be sad to be depressed? - February 21st 2011, 10:58 PM

Hey Ramon,

According to that website, I'm very high cyclothymic. Now I'm almost absolutely certain that I'm not cyclothymic, so like all tests you find online, you need to take the results with a grain of salt.

A true diagnosis of depression can only be made by a trained professional; I do believe that even most doctors aren't qualified to make that diagnosis. However, if you are feeling like you might be experiencing depression/dysthymia, go talk to a doctor as soon as you can! These are serious mental illnesses that can require just as much attention as physical illnesses.

To answer your question, the diagnosis of major depression hinges on major depressive episodes. Believe me when I say that if you have had a major depressive episode, you would very likely know about it; this is a state in which you simply do not have the energy and motivation to do anything, including basic tasks such as showering. What you're saying sounds more to me like dysthymia than major depression, though I am by no means a medical professional.

If you think you're experiencing symptoms of dysthymia or depression, please go see a doctor.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Do you have to be sad to be depressed? - February 21st 2011, 11:15 PM

Depression and sadness are different things, but I always find it ahrd to explain the difference between them. (especially without sounding like I'm trying to be artistic.) Depression can often be more of a numb, 'blah' feeling, where you mightn't feel sad as such, but you've lost a lot of interest in things and a lot of things feel a bit....pointless. Whereas personally I always see sadness as a more temporary thing.
Remember those online quizzes cannot diagnose depression in any way ~ you need a doctor for that!!

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
The_Princess Offline
Average Joe

Name: Tristyn

Re: Do you have to be sad to be depressed? - February 22nd 2011, 04:24 AM

Yes, you can be depressed without being sad. Also, if you have had depression before, it could lay dormant while you think that you are happy.

If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes.
~St. Clement of Alexandra

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Do you have to be sad to be depressed? - February 24th 2011, 04:12 PM

As has been said, yes, you can Depressed without being Sad.

First thing, don't believe anything an online test tells you. Consider the fact that Depression and Bipolar Disorder completely contradict one another, because of how the moods in both work. And Cyclothymia is kind of like, a more rapid and less severe version of Bipolar, so the chances of you having all 3 is IMPOSSIBLE, actually.

Second, depressed people aren't always sad. Hell, sometimes people who are depressed feel emotionally numb, more than anything. So I mean, if you're not sad, but just feel like something isn't right, it could be Depression. But, since you're 15 and going through puberty still, any weird feelings could also just be teenage hormones.

If you're concerned about your mental health, maybe talk to a doctor, or a counselor. DO NOT rely on online testing!

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Re: Do you have to be sad to be depressed? - February 24th 2011, 07:34 PM

I agree with what other members above have said - please, please don't believe an online test. I've done so many of them in my time, and they've said that I'm schizophrenic, depressed, bipolar, neurotic, narcissistic, cyclothymic, you name it every disorder in the book. But the fact is, I know full well that I'm not, and any one who knows me knows I'm not too :P People feel sad every day, and they might take that test and it'll say they have mild depression, when in reality they don't, they just feel sad. If that makes sense at all, I know I'm rambling :P

I think people can be depressed, without being sad. Depression manifests in many different ways.
But I think what you need to think about, is if your feelings and 'symptoms' are effecting your life badly in any way. Personally, I think if people are feeling unhappy and it's significantly effecting their life, to the point where they don't want to do things for example, then maybe they should talk to someone about it. But if you feel a bit down sometimes, that isn't making a huge impact and is usually just life in general, and isn't a sign of depression. If that helps?

Either way, I hope you're alright PM me if you want to talk about anything, I'm always here! ♥

Closed Thread