TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anatidaephobia Offline
Smile :) You're beautiful!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Question What happens if you get found attempting suicide? - February 24th 2011, 08:38 PM

Has anyone been caught?
What happens if you are taken to a and e?
Do they keep you in?

xxxxxxx Take care xxxxxxx

If you ever need ANYTHING just ask (:
Feel Free to leave me a message anytime:
VmPM

I won't let you close enough to hurt me
help link mentor Live help operator
  Send a message via MSN to Anatidaephobia Send a message via Skype™ to Anatidaephobia 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
lola jonson Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: lola

Re: What happens if you get found attempting suicide? - February 24th 2011, 08:46 PM

well if you get caught attempting it depends who catches you but they will most likley (hopefully) take you to the hospitial. i know that in new york there is a minimum of five days that you have to stay in ther hospitial if youre suicidal and then they give you some type of evaluation to decide when to send you home, when you go to the hosptital they are going to make you see a psychiatrist. i dont know what the minimum for how long you have to stay is where you live though.

We do not fear death, we fear that no one will notice our absence. That we will disappear without a trace.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
jessicaMariee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jessica<3

Re: What happens if you get found attempting suicide? - February 26th 2011, 01:03 AM

Once you are medically cleared at the hospital, apsychiatrist will come and talk to you to make sure your not haveing any suisdal thoughts and if you even give off any sign of being over stressed,depressed, or still planing on hurting yourself then you go to a pshic ward and be under a 72 hour hold. After that hold if your a minor then your parents and a psychiatrist will meet and talk about your leaving arrangements but usually you stay longer if you don't look happy. Witch is impossibly hard when you miss your loved ones.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Life17 Offline
Average Joe

Re: What happens if you get found attempting suicide? - February 26th 2011, 06:13 AM

If ur caught then yes u will b taken to da hospital and most likely spending sumtime in a psychward

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: What happens if you get found attempting suicide? - February 26th 2011, 07:06 AM

In my experience (I got caught by a housemate), I got taken to a&e by ambulance. I'm not too clear on the details of what happened at a&e because apparently I was having seizures and obviously pretty drugged up. I think I was given charcoal to drink and then put on a drip for like 48 hours or something and had numerous ecg's, blood tests and general obs taken. After I was nearly medically better, I saw someone from the mental health team and on that occasion I am told that I said I was going to kill myself properly when I got home so I was kept in a psychiatric hospital under close intermittent observation for 72 hours. On other occasions where I have tried to kill myself, I've told the mental health team a bunch of lies and been sent home. But yeah, basically if they think you're still at risk of going home and trying again, they'll keep you in, if not they let you go. I wouldn't suggest trying though.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: What happens if you get found attempting suicide? - February 26th 2011, 08:14 AM

In New Zealand, you get taken from A&E to an emergency ward of a hospital. (Idk if they're different in other countries, they are here.)
They wait for you to be either medically clear or lucid, whichever comes first. I've had one before the other a couple of times.
Then you get psychiatrically assessed.

I've never been held in hospital based on this, I don't think they do that here, but when I was considered at risk I was only released on the condition that an immediate family member took me home and supervised me for the next few days.

I think the general rule is, if you're caught, it means some time in hospital, and a few chats to psych liaison.

Closed Thread